7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2012 4:06 PM by philmodjunk

HELP Need Page Count, Same Record, 25 Layouts, Each Layout up to 10 Page Long

Sterling

Title

HELP Need Page Count, Same Record, 25 Layouts, Each Layout up to 10 Page Long

Hello out in Filemaker Land, Can any one help me out ????

I have a FileMaker Pro 11 Solution on a Pc or Mac.

I need to Print a Large Report to a Printer or PDF 

Each Report has from 10 to 25 Layoutsdue to the data entered

Each Layout can be from 1 to 10 page's long each due to data .entered.

Report can be from 25 Pages to 250 page due to Report Data.

I know I can put a ## in the footer but I need a True Page Count for ALL Pages in ALL Layouts, see sample below.

I know how to get a page count for one layout but I need ALL pages to be in order.  I need to have a page count go from one Layout and start on the Next Layout.  

Layout1 Pages has 9, Layout2 has 7, and  Layout3 has 5 pages a total of 21 Page Report to print

I need each page to have Page ## of 21 

Sample "Page 1 of 21" or "Page 5 of 21" Etc...

I know how to count the pages on only one Layout but I cant get the Script right to count all 25 Layouts and a Max og 250 pages or so.

CAN ANY ONE HELP :(

• 1. Re: HELP Need Page Count, Same Record, 25 Layouts, Each Layout up to 10 Page Long
          philmodjunk

What is the purpose of having 10 to 25 layouts? If you can simplify your system design so that you get the same report from one or a few layouts, this process is easier to work with and to maintain.

You can use a global field for the total pages and the page number can be a calculation that combines the current page number (specific to the current layout) with a global field that stores an "offset" equal to the number of pages printed on previous layouts in the same report.

Here's a script that counts the total number of pages from a given layout.

#First perform a find, sort records etc. to produce the needed found set and sort order for your report
          Enter Preview Mode []
          Go To Record/Request/Page [Last]
          Set Field [YourTable::gTotalForLayoutXXX ; Get ( pageNumber )]

gTotalForLayoutXXX would be used to store the pages needed for one layout and this gives you what you need to compute both total pages and the "offset" needed to produce the correct current page.

Get ( PageNumber ) + Yourtable::gLayoutXXXOffset

might be the field you define and use for the current page number.

Note fields named with a g as the first letter should have global storage specified in field options in order for this process to work.

• 2. Re: HELP Need Page Count, Same Record, 25 Layouts, Each Layout up to 10 Page Long
            Sterling

Hello PhilModJunk

I would like to thank for your time in responding so fast to my post.   I cant seem to get the script to work for my solution.  I can count the pages for one Layout but I have 10 to 25 Layout for Reports, my Report can be from 25 to 250 pages with over 100 photos. I need a Page count dilplayed on the footer of each page with the total (Sample "Page 1 of 21" or "Page 7 of 21" for a Small report and "Page 1 of 155" or Page 133 of 155"

I have only been working with FileMaker 11 Adv for a yera or so and would like any halp you can give.

Thank you

Sterling

Oceanside

• 3. Re: HELP Need Page Count, Same Record, 25 Layouts, Each Layout up to 10 Page Long
              philmodjunk

It's not a simple process. That's why I've asked why you need so many different layouts.

You'll need separate sets of fields or variables in which to store the page counts for each section. The total of these counts gives you the right hand number. Sub totals, different for each layout, produce the "offset" values needed so that current page number plus offeset produces the left hand number. (Fields in the footer should take their values from the last record on that page, so this should work for you once you get all the pages counted.)

Note that for any layout where you always have exactly one record for each page, you do not have to use this method, you can simply use Get ( FoundCount ) to get the total pages for that layout.

• 4. Re: HELP Need Page Count, Same Record, 25 Layouts, Each Layout up to 10 Page Long
                Sterling

Hello Phill

I know it's not a simple task.  I have spent 9 hours on it and still can't get the page numbers to work.

Can you nplease write me a simple step by step for 3 or 4 pages.  If not can you tell me who I can call to do so ?

I am willing to pay a fee for the script and any help in this matter.

Thanking you in advance for your help :)

Sterling

Oceanside

• 5. Re: HELP Need Page Count, Same Record, 25 Layouts, Each Layout up to 10 Page Long
                  philmodjunk

Say you have two layouts. We'll use that and hope you can then generalize the approach to your 25 layout report.

Define a calculation field,cPageNumber, in the table for layout #2:

Get ( PageNumber ) + Globals::gOffset.

Globals is a separate table just for global fields. You don't have to use that, but it's handy to keep all your global fields in one place. gOffset should be defined as a field of type number and global storage should be specified in field options for it.

Define a second global field: gTotalPages to count the total pages in your entire report.

Now use this script to give gOffSet and gTotalPages the values that they need. I can't spell out all the details as I do not know how your reports are designed so you will need to fill in some details yourself:

Go To layout [Layout 1]
                  #Perform a find to pull up the records you need for this report
                  #Sort the records as needed for this report if you use sub summary layout parts
                  enter preview mode [] //clear the pause check box
                  go To Record/Request/Page [last] //go to last previewed page
                  Set Field [Globals::gOffset ; get ( PageNumber ) ]
                  enter browse mode[]
                  Go to Layout [Layout 2]
                  #Perform Find
                  #Sort if needed
                  Go To Record/REquest/Page [last]
                  Set Field [Globals::gTotalPages ; Globals::gOffSet + Get ( PageNumber ) ]

That's it for two layouts. Now put:

## of <<Globals::gTotalPages>>

on your first layout and put:

<<cPageNumber>> of <<Globals::gTotalPages>>

on your second layout. Fields in << >> are called merge fields and you can use the Insert menu to add them to your layout.

To extend this method to three layouts, you'd need to add an offset field for the third layout that combines Globals::gOffSet1 + get ( PageNumber) to get a calculated page number for your third layout and the pattern would continue from there...

• 6. Re: HELP Need Page Count, Same Record, 25 Layouts, Each Layout up to 10 Page Long
                    Sterling

Hello Phill,

Life is Good Smile  It WORKS Thanks to you.

I do have one more little thing.

I Print Photos (Container Field's 1-150) with my Reports; I have the Fields sliding up to reduce the pages printing,

Any SIMPLE way to Stop Page Breaks across the Photos ((Container Field's 1-150))???

Just asking

Sterling.

Oceanside

• 7. Re: HELP Need Page Count, Same Record, 25 Layouts, Each Layout up to 10 Page Long
                      philmodjunk

150 container fields? !!!!

Looks like you may not have the optimum table structgure here. Instead of 150 fields, you would be better off with a related table of image records that could then have 0 to 150+ related records for a given report.

With that approach you might be able to set up a layout with one container field in the body (but many records), and then you can specify that the body layout part not break across page boundaries.

I rather suspect that many such design changes to the structure of your data could be made and that these changes would also reduce the number of layouts needed for your report. 25 layouts for one report is really extreme. Almost always, a single layout is all you need for a given report. There are cases where that just isn't possible and then you may find that more than one layout is needed to produce your report, but 25 layouts seems really out there...