7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2010 9:24 PM by symbister

Help Needed

sly_1

Title

Help Needed

Hello,

I have 21 different texts (words)  ( they are just type in on a DB they are not a field)

Here is what I want to do.

1. Create a button  for each individual word that will take me to a specific layout and to that specific record.

Word =  President

So when I click on the word president I want it to go to the president job description

word = Secretary  

So when I click on the word president I want it to go to the president job description

and so on

if anyone can help me with that it would be great

• 1. Re: Help Needed
          aammondd

If they are simply layout objects you can format them as buttons and then assign the button to go to the appropriate layout.

Select the layout object then choose Format>>Button Setup from the menus

If what you are really asking is to assign hyperlink like text to words contained within a field then that is an entirely different matter.

• 2. Re: Help Needed
            philmodjunk

Take a look at this Demo file: http://www.4shared.com/file/v5xFb7_R/ClickedWordDemo.html (Requires Filemaker 10 or 11)

With this technique, you can put your text in a text field and the script triggered when you enter the field will extract the word in the field that was clicked and use it to search a definitions table. Each word must be separated by one or more spaces unless you modify the script to check for other word delimitters.

Edit note: Updated demo file to fix bug that occurs if text field is empty and added new download link to this post.

• 3. Re: Help Needed
              sly_1

that demo doesnt seem to work for me and im using fm10. all i get is a continuous hr glass. thank you anyhow

• 4. Re: Help Needed
                philmodjunk

Download the file again. I just clicked the download link, dowloaded a copy and opened it with filemaker 10. It worked correctly, no continuous hourglass.

You should get a plain layout with 4 words listed twice in two copies of the same field. Clicking any word in the upper copy of the field should either take you to a layout showing its definition or will pop up an error message if the word is not found in the defintions table.

Perhaps your copy was somehow corrupted during the download.

• 5. Re: Help Needed
                  philmodjunk

After further checking I found that if the Demo's text field is empty, the script gets trapped in a infinite loop.

Here's the link to the updated demo: http://www.4shared.com/file/v5xFb7_R/ClickedWordDemo.html

• 6. Re: Help Needed
                    symbister

mmm that link didn't work for me either, running 8.5 on mac I'm guessing something in script is not backwards-compatible?

although it works if you select a word, then 'perform script'....

thx

• 7. Re: Help Needed
                      symbister

oops just re-read previous posts - 'only works for 10 and 11' - :smileysad: