2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2013 11:53 PM by SBC

Help needed Formatting a "Date" Merge field for reports...

SBC

Title

Help needed Formatting a "Date" Merge field for reports...

I'm using the Merge field option to insert dates on to various reports, e.g. "Mr. Jones will arrive on <<arrival_date>>"

The problem I have is the dates are always formatted as… "12/16/13" when printed.  I need "December 16, 2013"  

Unlike the Inspector's Formatting option available for fields on layouts, there is nothing that I can find for formatting a Merge field the same way.  And unfortunately setting the date field's format on the Input layout to my example of "December 12, 2013"  above still yields a "12/16/13" result in Preview/Print mode.  

Any thoughts, suggestions, formulas?   It would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks

• 1. Re: Help needed Formatting a "Date" Merge field for reports...
          philmodjunk

Do this:

Enter Layout Mode

Click the text object that contains the date field.

Select a date format that you want from the Inspector's data tab.

This will work as long as all the fields in the text object of the same data type can be set with the same data formatting. That usually is the case for date fields but if you have multiple number fields in the same text object and only some of them should be formatted as currency, this method won't work. So you can select one number format, one date format and one time format for all the merge fields in the same text block, but you can't select one number format for some fields in the object and a different number format for others.

• 2. Re: Help needed Formatting a "Date" Merge field for reports...
            SBC

Phil, you're awesome!  I've been pulling my hair out on this one.  THANKS!!!!