1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2009 6:50 AM by adcoleman

Help needed with new Music Library starter solution

adcoleman

Title

Help needed with new Music Library starter solution

I'd created a 1000+-item db with the earlier version of FMP's freeware Music Library Starter Solution. I'm trying to import this into the new version that comes with FMPro 10, to take advantage of its increased robustness and better layout.

Everything imports fine except for track info: track no., track title, minutes, seconds.

In the earlier version of this solution, all data appeared in a single table. In the new version, there's a second table, Tracks, apparently intended for this data. But I can't figure out how to get my existing Track field data into that new table, and the field names and types therein don't match those in the earlier iteration.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide. 

• 1. Re: Help needed with new Music Library starter solution
          TSGal

quickstudy:

Thank you for your post.

This is not an easy feat.  The version in FileMaker Pro 9 used a repeating field for the tracks and time.  In addition, the time was separated into minutes and seconds.

Do the following:

1. In FileMaker Pro 9, create a clone of the Music Library file.

2. Open the clone, and create a calculation field "TimeCalc", resulting in Time with the formula:

Time ( 0; Minutes; Seconds )

3. Import the Music Library file and taking the option to split the repeating values into separate records.

4. Export the data to a Merge file type and name it "ExportFile".  Only include the following fields:

Album Title

Artist

Tracks

TimeCalc

5. Quit FileMaker Pro 9 and open the new Music Library file in FileMaker Pro 10.

6. Import "ExportFile" bringing this into a new table.

7. Create a relationship between "Music Library" and the new table based on "Album Title".

8. In the new table, create a new field "kf_ID_Library" (Number).

9. Replace the value of "kf_ID_Library" with the contents of "Music Library::kp_ID_Library"

10. Rename "Tracks" to "TrackName".

11. Open the Tracks table, and you should now be able to import from "ExportFile" layout the fields:

kf_ID_Library

TrackName

TimeCalc

This should get you close.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Help needed with new Music Library starter solution
            adcoleman

Is it asking too much of Filemaker that, when they update a solution, they provide a seamless transition between the previous version and the new version?

Thanks for your detailed response. I'll need a bit of help with some of the steps. Let's start with

1. In FileMaker Pro 9, create a clone of the Music Library file.

Do you mean a clone of the original Music Library file I created in FMPro 9? 

• 3. Re: Help needed with new Music Library starter solution
              TSGal

quickstudy:

Yes, that is correct.  Create a clone of the Music Library file created in FileMaker Pro 9.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Help needed with new Music Library starter solution
                adcoleman

I've gotten as far as step 6: Import "ExportFile" bringing this into a new table.

Once I choose to create the table ExPortFile, am I adding new records or updating existing ones? 

• 5. Re: Help needed with new Music Library starter solution
                  adcoleman

Meanwhile, I got this far: 9. Replace the value of "kf_ID_Library" with the contents of "Music Library::kp_ID_Library."

How do I do this? 

• 6. Re: Help needed with new Music Library starter solution
                    TSGal

quickstudy:

Thanks for your posts.

In step #6, you would definitely be adding new records, since no records are probably in the file.

In step #9, you can use either the Replace command or put it in a script.

Put your cursor in the "kf_ID_Library", pull down the Records menu and select "Replace Field Contents..."

Select the last option, "Replace with calculated result", and a new dialog box appears.  In the top left, select the "Music Library" table and then double-click on the "kp_ID_Library" field below that.  Click OK and OK again to replace the values.

Continue to keep me posted.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Help needed with new Music Library starter solution
                      adcoleman

Creating the ExportFile table in the new FMPro 10 Music Library resulted in the production of a new layout titled ExportFile. This now has five fields:

Album Title

Artist

Tracks

TimeCalc

kf_ID_Library 

I assume you advise me to work in this layout for the data import, yes?

No existing table in the new FMPro 10 has a field named "kp_ID_Library." There's only "kp_ID_Record."  Then there are various fields starting with kf, including another "kf_ID_Library." So I'm not sure how to follow your instructions.

Also: should I start with an empty copy of the new FMPro 10 Music Library? If I do, then I'll have to do a second import in order to bring in my data from other fields in the old version, no? I have albums covers, categories, and notes, label, year of release, and other data in this file. 

• 8. Re: Help needed with new Music Library starter solution
                        TSGal

quickstudy:

My fault.  Yes, "kp_ID_Record" is the key field.

If you already have records in the new Music Library (FileMaker Pro 10), there's no reason to remove them.  The point is to move your records over from the Music Library from FileMaker Pro 9.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: Help needed with new Music Library starter solution
                          adcoleman

I've now reached your last step:

11. Open the Tracks table, and you should now be able to import from "ExportFile" layout the fields:

kf_ID_Library

TrackName

TimeCalc

Two questions: First, am I importing these fields into the Tracks table from the ExportFile table in the same solution? (I already imported them into this solution from the earlier version thereof.)

Second, when I go to the Tracks table and click Import and choose this solution, the window offers me the ability to import a table, but not specific fields within that table. How do I import the three fields from ExportFile into tracks? Just copy and paste?

• 10. Re: Help needed with new Music Library starter solution
                            TSGal

quickstudy:

Yes, when you go to the layout where Tracks table is stored, you can import from the same database file, and then, once you choose the ExportFile table, you will be presented with the fields.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: Help needed with new Music Library starter solution
                              adcoleman

I'm not understanding something here.

You say, "Yes, when you go to the layout where Tracks table is stored, you can import from the same database file, and then, once you choose the ExportFile table, you will be presented with the fields."

I'm doing Manage>Database, selecting (highlighting) the Tracks table within the Music Library database, then clicking on Import. This brings up a window that lets me choose a table (but not specific fields) within this solution.

Have I misunderstood the Import procedure you propose?

I don't know what you mean by "the layout where Tracks table is stored." It's my understanding that the Tracks table is stored within the Music Library solution, not within a particular layout.

• 12. Re: Help needed with new Music Library starter solution
                                TSGal

quickstudy:

I just assumed you had a layout where the Tracks fields are displayed.  If not, then go to any layout, pull down the File menu and select "Import Records -> File..."

Select the FileMaker Pro 9 Music Library database.  Once that is selected, a new dialog box appears showing "Import Field Mapping".  On the left side are the fields for one of the tables.  At the top of that listing, it will say "Source", and to the right of that is a pop-up menu that holds the tables of the FileMaker Pro 9 Music Library database.  Select "ExportFile".

On the right side, where it says "Target", select the "Tracks" table.

Now, set up your field mapping.

Does this help?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 13. Re: Help needed with new Music Library starter solution
                                  adcoleman

The Tracks fields are located in the main/splash layout of Music Library, the layout titled Record Detail.

I get as far as File>Import Records>File>Open, and then choosing ExportFile as my source table. However, I'm not able to select the Tracks table from the Target menu; it's there, but grayed out. I can't access any of the related tables -- only the Current Table. Stymied here . . .

Also -- when I do manage this import, am I updating new records or updating matching records? (I assume I'm not creating new records.)

• 14. Re: Help needed with new Music Library starter solution
                                    TSGal

quickstudy:

I am totally confused.  I thought you wanted to add the data from the other Music Library database from FileMaker Pro 9...

If you are trying to move data across from the old Music Library database to the new one, you would definitely need to add records.  If you just want to update records, that is a totally different scenario.

What Track fields do you need updating?  Sorry, I'm lost.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

1 2 Previous Next