1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 15, 2013 8:51 AM by philmodjunk

Help needed with sending induvidual emails with the same message body.

KitW

Title

Help needed with sending induvidual emails with the same message body.

I am super new to filemaker, so apologies if this doesn't make sense.

I have scripted a little send mail button so that my users can send induvidual emails in batches to records in sets.

My users need to be able to type up a different letter each time, and mail it out to each record in a batch. When I try to set it up so there's text box on the record page where they hit the send button though, it is record-specific... one email will have the info rom that text box, the other emails will be blank. Is there a way I can make sure they all get the same message without having to copy/paste? We're sending 10-50 emails at the time.

Hope this makes sense!

• 1. Re: Help needed with sending induvidual emails with the same message body.
          philmodjunk

Do you need to keep those messages as record in your database for future reference? Some of the following options make that possible, the first option does not.

Assuming that text box is a field on a layout, give that field global storage.

Or put a list of email addresses in the To or BCC box of the send mail dialog. This can be done a number of ways using either a script or a calculation depending on how your database tables/relationships are designed.

Or use relationships so that your found set of records, one for each recipient all link to the same record where you have entered the email message in a text field. Given the fact that over time, you will be sending many emails to many recipients, this requires three table to implement the many to many relationship required if you intend on keeping these messages on file for future reference:

Messages-----<Message_Recipient>------Recipients

Recipients::__pkRecipientID = message_recipient::_fkRecipientID

You'd send out your email from a layout based on Mesage_Recipient using the "Multiple Emails, found set" option after performing a find to pull up a found set of all the records linked to a specific message.

For an explanation of my notation, see: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained