1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 9, 2009 8:21 AM by philmodjunk

Help New to FMP

BadSaila

Title

Help New to FMP

Hello,

I am new to FMP, I have used Access before, I would say intermediate lvl. I have FMP 10.0.v3 Advanced. I'm trying to create my first DB but am having a rough time. Hopefully someone can help.

Trying to build a table with a list of characteristics and elements from those characteristics. example

WEEKLY TOOL AUDIT 

CHARACTERISTICS       OBSERVATION       DISCREPANCY

inventories                         0                        0

calibration                          0                        0

ELEMENTS

inventories                   present             supervisor               initials accurate

OBS DISC          OBS DISC                OBS DISC

0     0               0     0                     0      0

calibration                    calibration date     sticker                   storage

OBS DISC           OBS DISC             OBS DISC

0     0                0     0                  0      0  

the problem i'm having is on my output report i need to account for total observation and total discrepancy in each element and total discrepancy for each characteristic.

I tried radio buttons but no luck. I had the radio buttons setup like this

TOOL Kits                   Satisfactory               Unsatisfactory           DidNotLook

Inventories                (radio button)              (radio button)           (radio button)

Calibration                 (radio button)              (radio button)            (radio button)

when click on radio button (unsatisfactory) pops open a window where i can  enter the discrepancy and what element.

default radio button is (didnotlook)

satisfactory radio button would create a record saying i performed that audit letting me count the total observations. Then I thought i could pull that information into my output report. 

• 1. Re: Help New to FMP
          philmodjunk

Whether you're programming in Access or FMP, the first step is proper table design. WHat tables and relationships have you defined for your database?

It looks like you need at least three tables with relationships linking them, but I'm not sure from your description. Once you have a table design in place that works, you can use aggregate functions such as sum() and count() to total up or count values from a table of related records.

Here's what I think you need:

Table:  Tools

TableID (auto-entered serial number--this is your primary key)

InvObs Sum(inventory:: Obs)

InvDisc Sum(inventory:: Disc)

CalObs Sum(Calibration:: Obs)

CalDisc Sum(Calibration:: Disc)

Table: Inventories

ToolID (Number)

Type (text, format with value list: Present, Supervisor, Initials)

Obs (number)

Disc (number)

Table: Calibration

ToolID (number)

Type (text, format with value list: Calibration date, sticker, storage)

Obs(number)

Disc(number)

Relationships

Tools::ToolID = Inventory::ToollID

Tools::TollID = calibration::ToollID

Notes: To record this data you'll probably want to set up some Portals--look that term up in Filemaker's help system--a portal is very similar to Access SubForms. The above set up will total up all discrepancies over all time. If you need totals for specific time periods, you'll need to add date fields and include a date field or two in the relationships to filter data by date or range of dates.