11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2012 9:19 AM by philmodjunk

Help on a Basketball Scouting Database

MikeProcopio

Title

Help on a Basketball Scouting Database

The problem that I am having is that it takes too long to go player by player during a game to produce an individual scouting report. Is there a way to have it where on the team page from a portal I can create new scouting reports for all participants on a team.

Here is my graph

Screen_Shot_2012-10-16_at_11.47.24_AM.png

• 1. Re: Help on a Basketball Scouting Database
          philmodjunk

What kind of data are you recording on the players during the game?

Years ago, a college professor demonstrated a basketball stat recording method (originally had to work with punched cards so it had to be simple and quick), that was quite ingenious.

They recorded each play on the ball by selecting the jersey number and then entering a code for the play (Shoot/miss, shoot/scoret, Pass, traveled, etc). Imagining an iPad version of that might use a list of buttons for each player with a second list of buttons for each "play". Tapping a player button followed by tapping a "play" button would log what that player did and would potentially be very quick. A report could then summarize there stats for the game quite easily.

But I'm not sure if that's what you would do when scouting players at a game or not...

• 2. Re: Help on a Basketball Scouting Database
            MikeProcopio

Actually I already have the scouting report table that I input data. It enables me to watch a game put a report and their stats for the player in an individual game. What I have now is I've got a layout with a team roster where I can click on a player's name and it enables me to put the scouting report in.

Is there a way to have a portal on my team page with a roster of playerrs where I can create multiple reports on one page?

NOt sure if I am making sense or not.

• 3. Re: Help on a Basketball Scouting Database
              MikeProcopio

This is the roster that I use to scout games with. I'd do a search for both teams playing in the particullar game that I am processign reports for

• 4. Re: Help on a Basketball Scouting Database
                MikeProcopio

When I click on a player's name I set it as a button taking me to a player's individual scouting report that I make a report for, enter their stats for that game and that information is in the player's individual page where all of their scouting reports are processed . Here is the individual report page.

• 5. Re: Help on a Basketball Scouting Database
                  philmodjunk

What would you like to see change here? Where do you encounter problems that make this too slow for you?

One option that comes to mind is that when you click on a players name, the system could set you up with a found set of all the players on that team so that you can switch players by flipping through the records in the found set. You could also place a similar selection portal under the player's picture so that you can change players without changing back to the first layout.

• 6. Re: Help on a Basketball Scouting Database
                    MikeProcopio

If I am only looking at one player it is pretty easy. When I am reporting on every player it gets to be tedius. I want to be able to have every player on that team in front of me on a layout or portal, where I can type up notes without having to flip through 10 different windows to get to 10 different players. The way I do it now I have to wait until the game is over and then type my notes up. I can do it this way, but in a perfect world if the game was already played and I am watching it on tape I camn then first go to ESPN.com and get the box score. On one page enter in each players stats before the game is played and then as the game is being played I can type my notes up on each player on one page. Is this possible?

• 7. Re: Help on a Basketball Scouting Database
                      philmodjunk

If what you are entering on each player is text into a field, then why not set up a list view layout or a portal of those text fields for logging your notes? Each record or portal row would represent a different player in the current game. You can set up the list of "notes" records ahead of time from the team rosters.

• 8. Re: Help on a Basketball Scouting Database
                        MikeProcopio

How can I set up the notes on the team rosters? Can I enter a new scouting record on this page as well?

• 9. Re: Help on a Basketball Scouting Database
                          MikeProcopio

Phil,

Ok so I have a layout called Game Scouting Report where I search for Dates of Reports, Team Name, and Opponent Name where all of the records come up. I never even gave it a thought that this can be the layout that I asked you about. Ok so that part is solved. THe only small issue that I have is findiing the players for the new reports. I have to scroll through the names of the Player ID_fk which is fine not so bad. I have a portal that gives the list of all the players that are on the same team as the player.

Is there a way on a Portal that I can set it up where when I click on a player's name it automatically creates a new record in my scouting report portal? This will save me a lot of time. I uploaded a picture of my latyout. On the left side is the player name and stats for that game. On the right is the Portal of the roster of their team. 

In this example you see Tayshaun Prince on the left so after I enter his stats in I want to select WIll Bynum's name on the list. Is there a script where when I select WIll Bynum's name that his name comes up on the next scouting report under Tayshaun Prince?. This will make it easy for me when I am going to a game and there is like 8 players to scout from each team that I can easily create the new scouting reports and be able to navigate on all of them in the layout.

Thanks Phil

• 10. Re: Help on a Basketball Scouting Database
                            MikeProcopio
                            /files/56427c82a3/Screen_Shot_2012-10-17_at_8.06.31_AM.png 1280x800
                            • 11. Re: Help on a Basketball Scouting Database
                              philmodjunk

On which table is this layout based? Scouting Reports or Players?

What I had in mind was a list view where the player names would be listed down the left and next to each player name would be a text field for entering your notes for the scouting report.