5 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2014 8:39 AM by philmodjunk

Help required with button programming

MichaelHammond

Title

Help required with button programming

HI All

We are a paramedic company and using Filemaker to record our patient records - I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CODE

I have a button setup to display a HANDOVER REPORT which we can then print and give to the local ambulance crew

my problem - I would like the handover report only to display if the initial and secondary patient observation details have been completed

there are several field in each of the initial and secondary sections - so if data is missing some sort of ALERT to get the Paramedics to complete this data before printing the HANDOVER REPORT

the initial - red and secondary - yellow sections must be complete to allow button fpr handover report to display

is this possible

thanks in advance

mike

Screenshot_2014-05-28_13.06.05.png

• 1. Re: Help required with button programming
          philmodjunk

I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CODE

Will then make it difficult to help you.

A conditional format expression such as the following could make an alert notice in the form of layout text visible on your screen:

Not ( IsEmpty ( YourTable::BP ) or IsEmpty ( YourTable::Heart Rate ) or IsEmpty ( YourTable::SPO2 ) or IsEmpty ( YourTable::BSL) or IsEmpty ( YourTable::Resps) or IsEmpty ( YourTable::Temp) or IsEmpty ( YourTable::BP 2 ) or IsEmpty ( YourTable::Heart Rate 2 ) or IsEmpty ( YourTable::SPO2 2 ) or IsEmpty ( YourTable::BSL 2) or IsEmpty ( YourTable::Resps 2) or IsEmpty ( YourTable::Temp 2 ) )

This expression returns False if any of the fields in the first two columns are empty. If you add a warning to your layout as 12 point layout text, this expression could be used to change to font size to 120+ in order to make this text invisible.

The button to display your hand over report can start with this code:

If [ IsEmpty ( YourTable::BP ) or IsEmpty ( YourTable::Heart Rate ) or IsEmpty ( YourTable::SPO2 ) or IsEmpty ( YourTable::BSL) or IsEmpty ( YourTable::Resps) or IsEmpty ( YourTable::Temp) or IsEmpty ( YourTable::BP 2 ) or IsEmpty ( YourTable::Heart Rate 2 ) or IsEmpty ( YourTable::SPO2 2 ) or IsEmpty ( YourTable::BSL 2) or IsEmpty ( YourTable::Resps 2) or IsEmpty ( YourTable::Temp 2 ) ]
                    Show Custom Dialog ["All required Initial and secondary fields have not been filled out." ]
               Else

Put the rest of your script to show your report here

End If

• 2. Re: Help required with button programming
            MichaelHammond

Hi Phil thank you for your assistance

I am getting the following

• 3. Re: Help required with button programming
              philmodjunk

You have entered a script step that you would define in a script editor using Manage scripts as a calculation in the specify calculation dialog.

Open Manage | Scripts

Click New to start a new script.

Find the IF script step listed on the left and double click it to add it to your script. Double click it and add the expression between the square brackets. Do not enter the brackets.

Click OK

Then double click the Else script step to add it.

Double click again to add the Show Custom Dialog script step. Double Click the added Show Custom Dialog script step to open up a dialog where you can type in the message you want to appear and you can edit what buttons appear with that message.

You'll need to add more steps for printing your report here.

Then exit the script manager, return to your layout and set up your button to perform this script.

• 4. Re: Help required with button programming
                MichaelHammond

Hi Phil

thanks again for your help

got the button working but when I select a new record it doesnt work

is it because the layout has a TAB box and this data is in the TAB so the layout still sees record 1 as having data so it lets you print?

any thoughts please

Mike

• 5. Re: Help required with button programming
                  philmodjunk

The fact that it's in a tab control has nothing to do with this.

Creating a new record does not automatically perform this script and thus this message does not appear. You'll need to figure out each circumstance where you need this script to be run and then implement features that ensure that the script is run in each case.

You may need to put a button on your layout for creating new records that performs a script that first performs this script and then creates the new record.

Or if you are using FileMaker Advanced, you can set up a custom menu where selecting New Record performs the script that I have just described.