2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2013 8:43 AM by FredrikWallenberg5579

Help setting up Line Graph for multiple years

SamCohen

Title

Help setting up Line Graph for multiple years

Hello,

I have a database where I am making a count of "requests" seperated by weekending date. I have been doing this since mid 2011. I would like to compare the trend line, each line representing 1 year, of the # of "requests" by week ending date.

So, I have been able to do this for a year at a time, but when I format the chart I am not sure how to set up the paramaters for the X axis to show 1 year and the Y axis to show a number range (number of requests). I assume I would need 3 Y axis for each year?

Please help. Obviously I am a novice so let me know if I left out any key details.

Thanks,

Samuel

• 1. Re: Help setting up Line Graph for multiple years
          philmodjunk

I see no reason for "3 Y axis for each year".

You would need one y axis data series for each year.

This requires a separate field for each year and the number of such series can't be changed as you add more years of data to your database.

Thus, you may want to set up a related table for your chart layout and use calculations/relationships to generate a set of Y axis data series for charting in your graph. This might enable you, for example to chart the "most recent 5 years" of data with one line for each year.

The trick would be figuring out the specifics to work with your particular data model and verions of Filemaker.

• 2. Re: Help setting up Line Graph for multiple years
            FredrikWallenberg5579

Why couldn't Filemaker simply allow a "by" option to split the x-variable into multiple series. I was hoping for that with FMP13 but no such luck it seems.