14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2014 4:50 PM by hanstrager

Help to create a Conditional layout...

hanstrager

Title

Help to create a Conditional layout...

I have a small database, where I create technical files for garments. Which i want to expand slightly.

When you're making technical descriptions for garments it's important to meassure all seems to specify for the seamstress's how long each seam should for the final garments. So For fx. a pant, You need to measurre the waist, outside leg, inside leg etc... A dress: neck circumference, side, back etc... Jacket: sleeve, back etc... Basically each type of Garment has different things you need to be measure. So I can't just have one layout. I somehow need to be able to have a Value list where I can choose the different types of garment types, and then pull up the right layout and fill them out, but still keep each 'meassure' record specific to 1 specific garment record.

I'm not 100% sure how to approach this..? or if it's possible at all.

• 1. Re: Help to create a Conditional layout...
          GuyStevens

Hi Hans,

Sounds like you could do this with one table for garments and one for measurements.

You create a record for a garment like "Pants" and you add the measurements in a portal.

In the measurements you can enter the type of measurement (waist, outside leg, etc.)
               And the actual measurement.

If you don't always want to start from scratch you could make s script that goes to a previous garment of the same type and gets the related measurements and imports them into your new garment without copying the actual sizes.

Sounds to me like something that could work.

If this sounds like a plan to you but you don't know how to do it, let me know. I'll expand.

Greetings

Guy Stevens

• 2. Re: Help to create a Conditional layout...
            hanstrager

Sounds like it would do the trick.

I got the garment table, allready, should I have a different tables for 'Pants measurements', 'Dress measurements', 'Jacket measurements'... etc. or can I just have all of them in 1 table and then use different layouts..?

• 3. Re: Help to create a Conditional layout...
              GuyStevens

Hi Hans,

I would never create different layouts. If you have multiple garment records you can scroll trough them. But if you have multiple different layouts you would have to change layouts depending on the type of garment. That seems to me like a really bad idea.

I would only have one measurements table and just relate that to the garments table using a foreign Id field.

I of course don't know anything about your data so I don't know if you make multiple "pants" records or only one. 

But because you are making measurements I'm assuming you will have multiple pants, multiple dresses etc.

And I would keep all of that in two simple tables.

• 4. Re: Help to create a Conditional layout...
                hanstrager

I have a table with garments - multiply different pants, different shirts, different jackets, different dresses etc. maybe 50 different unique garments (records). Then all these different records, needs to be able to  have a 'measurement sheet' attached which, which is going to differ whether it's a shirt, dress, pants or jackets etc... Is it possible to have different 'measure sheets' depending on type of garment, with the above method..?  

• 6. Re: Help to create a Conditional layout...
                  hanstrager

Hi Guy

I really appreciate you taking time to make a tutorial explaining everything into detail. I really like the idea of the feature where you can add new measurements on the fly. Though this might be slightly to organic for the thing I'm trying to create.

Ideally I need a pre set of measurement descriptions with an option to add 2-3 extra measurment descriptions (fx 1 style of shirts has an odd pocket that needs to be addressed in the measurement sheet, but are only on that type of shirt and not on others.) that relate to a specific type of garment.

Further more every half a year i start a new database (since fashion is seasonal), and I'll eventually would have to type in again all the measurement descriptions for all different type of garments, it would just be easier if all these descriptions somehow would be pulled from predefined set of measurement descriptions and as said before ideally have the options to have 2-3 not pre defined.

Is it possible to tweak your solution into this..?

Hans

• 7. Re: Help to create a Conditional layout...
                    GuyStevens

Hi Hans,

The exact same thing can be done with a pre created table of garments and a related table of measurements.

You just have to make sure that you have one field where you determine the measurements you need to go and find.

In my example we use the "Type" field.

It could be that or a field from the "template" garments table.

Just change your script to go to the other table and perform the find.

Then import the found records from the "Template" measurements table into the measurements table that you are using for your data entry.

If you import records from a table where you just created a found set only the found set will be imported.

Greetings

Guy

• 8. Re: Help to create a Conditional layout...
                      hanstrager

Hi Guy

Sorry for the delay – have been trying to figure out what’s happening in your tutorial.

So it works as you described. My problem is that I first add the garments records - like 50, and then 3month later I have to apply the measurements to these garment records. So when I push ‘get measurement’ (I guess due to the last 2 script steps) It goes to the last records and shows all my records. So then I have to perform a find to back to the record I was working on. Is there a way so it stays in the same record and on the same tab..?

As you described before I have tried to make different tables with pre created description fields – so it always will be the same measurement fields for all pants, all  jackets etc. But it just doesn’t work out for me. Sorry I’m not the strongest in scripting – still learning

Best

Hans

• 9. Re: Help to create a Conditional layout...
                        GuyStevens

Hi Hans. What you can do in the beginning is set the original Garment ID as a variable. 

And then in the end of your script you can do a find for that ID and then so a "Show All Records" after that. That way you are back at your original record and all the rest is visible as well.

I quickly edited my file to fix that problem:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18099008/Demo_Files_FMP12/Hans%20Trager/Garment_Measurements.fmp12

Remember: when making a script, break it down into single steps, think about what you need to do and to it step by step.

Greetings
                             Guy

• 10. Re: Help to create a Conditional layout...
                          hanstrager

Hi Guy

It works perfectly –

sorry to be so persistent on this, but is there a way so I can have premade lists of measurement descriptions which I can pull out (depending on style), instead of always taking the description from the last Style..? It’s mainly so I don’t have to start over every time I start the database (Which I do every 6 month due to the fashion seasons). If I’ll fx. get measurements from Pants I’ll always pull out the same measurement description eventually with an option to create an extra measurement if the pants for some reason are complicated and needs to be described more into detail. You mentioned before using a ‘template garment table’   - tried different things myself, though without any luck.

Also is it possible to delete some of the measurements. If you hit the button twice you get the same measurements twice? Is there a nifty way of either deleting portal records or implement something into the scrip so you only can add one set of measurements..? 

Best

Hans

• 11. Re: Help to create a Conditional layout...
                            GuyStevens

Hi Hans.

Sorry for my late reply. I was very busy.

All of that is possible. I'll try and make you a little example.

Greetings

Guy

• 12. Re: Help to create a Conditional layout...
                              GuyStevens

Allright.

This is a new way of doing things. Using a template for measurements and checking for duplicates.

Video:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18099008/Screencasts/Hans%20Trager/02%20-%20Template.mkv

File:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18099008/Demo_Files_FMP12/Hans%20Trager/Garment_Measurements.fmp12

Greetings
                                   Guy

• 13. Re: Help to create a Conditional layout...
                                hanstrager

Hi Guy

exactly what i've been looking for... beautiful! I'm not at my computer at the moment, will try to integrate this next week and let you know how it works out... Thank you sooooooo much, speak next week

Hans

• 14. Re: Help to create a Conditional layout...
                                  hanstrager

Hi Guy

This works absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for all your hard work, and taking time to explain everything thoroughly in a Video.

Again - Thank you so much

Best

Hans