5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2014 12:27 PM by macuser56

Help to rotate an image in a container?

macuser56

Title

Help to rotate an image in a container?

I am helping a friend to put together a database of his house.  We are taking photos with his iPhone and importing these into FileMaker Pro. 

Only problem is that many of the photos are on their sides- is there a way to add a button into Filemaker to rotate the images inside a container? (say 90 degrees per click?)

I looked online for a solution and many are complex- is there anyone who would be willing to help me with this?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Help to rotate an image in a container?
          hbrendel

You can't rotate images in a field. But you can rotate the field itself. This would require 4 instances of the field and a routine to manage all this.

"Database of his house" ... This seems to me as a one time data input operation. I would position the images the right way before placing them in FM. You can easily do this with iPhoto or GraphicConverter.

BTW: Isn't there something wrong with this iPhone?

• 2. Re: Help to rotate an image in a container?
            macuser56

thanks hbrendel

The problem is that the images are rotated correctly when I open them in Preview or iPhoto- it is only when they are displayed in FM that they are not correct.  I believe that this is because FM ignores the "exif" data for the photo.

So if I open the image in Preview and rotate it, it has no bearing on how it looks in FM.

Just to note- all photos are referenced in the container field in FM and not actually in the database.

• 3. Re: Help to rotate an image in a container?
              hbrendel

Are you saying that images exported from iPhoto appear rotated after being imported in FM? I work with images quite a lot and have never encountered this problem. Maybe you should try to detect the cause of this anomaly before continuing with your database.

• 4. Re: Help to rotate an image in a container?
                macuser56

for my database, i have a folder of images and the database, and the database contains references to those pictures.

if i open the photo in the Finder, it opens in Preview, and the photo is perfect- correct orientation.

But if I view this in FM, the photo is at a 90 degree angle.

All photos are taken using an iPhone 5. It would be great if there is s way to rotate the container contents?

• 5. Re: Help to rotate an image in a container?
                  macuser56

by the way i found one "solution"

open the photo in Preview, copy the image, then create a new Preview document from the clipboard. This strips out the exif data and so the "new" saved photo will display correctly when imported into FM.

Problem is that this is tricky to explain to the novice- my colleague is not tech-wavy and a button in FM to rotate the image would be far easier for him to use.