1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 4, 2013 8:17 AM by philmodjunk

Help with a Case Calculation to break apart a serial number and return text.

kilbot

Title

Help with a Case Calculation to break apart a serial number and return text.

Morning

Okay have a 10 digit serial number that is assigned to my employees. The serial number when broken down referes to to information on the employees' location.

Ex: 9012134121          901 = employee is in California          213 = Administration position          4121 Secretary

Furthermore the 2nd (213) and 3rd (4121) series in the serial number fall in a range

Ex: 200 - 300 = Administration position        300-600 = Maintenance position

I have created 3 fields to house the calculations for the breakdown of the serial number. I started to write the first calculation and got stuck. Please help and share any advise:

This is as far as I got:

Case (Left (serial_number;3 = 901; "California))

Now I know on the second series since it is a range I will use greater or less than but not sure how to incorporate it, or how to use a function to get the next 3 ditgits (213) after the first 3 (901)? And then the same when writing the last calculation for the last 4 digits of the series.