3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2015 7:56 PM by philmodjunk

Help with a find issue Filemaker Adv Pro

AnthonyGayne

Title

Help with a find issue Filemaker Adv Pro

I have a database with two tables linked, using two fields that have matching data to link each table, if I search within the one database only it returns exactly what I'm looking for. When  I add the third field to the  search criteria that is in the other table / database it ignores the request and return all the fields .

I think it has something to do with the relationship piece when I'm using the Find I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong or how to resolve the issue,,

Snap_Shot.jpg

• 1. Re: Help with a find issue Filemaker Adv Pro
          philmodjunk

Finds locate records not fields. The most common surprise that new users encounter when they enter find mode and specify criteria in a field from a related table is this:

When you perform a find, you are not finding portal records, you are finding layout records. The found set of records produced comes from the table specified in Show Records From in Layout setup. If you specify search criteria in a field from a related table, such as a field in a portal, this finds all records in the layout's table that have at least one record in the related table matching your criteria. Once those records are found, you are back in browse mode and your relationship plus any portal filters function as they always have to control what records then appear in your portal so you will see records in the portal that do not match your find criteria and the portal filter might even conceal the one record that matched your criteria.

• 2. Re: Help with a find issue Filemaker Adv Pro
            AnthonyGayne

First thank you for taking the time to respond ! Is there is a work around  or a suggested way to restructure the database to get more accurate finds when using relationships ?

These finds being accurate are very important , I have used for many years Lotus Approach as a datebase solution, recently switching over to Filemaker pro.. Never had these issues with that product, just trying to figure out if its a learning curve issue on my part, or a quark with File Pro

Thank you once again in advance !

• 3. Re: Help with a find issue Filemaker Adv Pro
              philmodjunk

The find IS accurate. It just doesn't work the way you expected. 

I suggest posting a more detailed description of what you are trying to accomplish with your find. Then I or another can suggest a way to get the results you want.