8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2011 3:50 PM by BarryMillenson

Help with a phone number field

BarryMillenson

Title

Help with a phone number field

I have created a data base and I have a field set up for phone number.   How do I set the field so that if I enter 7135428288 it will display it as 713-542-8288 or (713)542-8288.

Thanks if you can help me.

Barry

• 1. Re: Help with a phone number field
          philmodjunk

Do you want to keep the value entered as pure numeric digits or could an auto-enter calculation provide the formatting after you exit the field?

This calculation will provide the formatting:

Let ( n = Filter ( Self ; 98765543210 ) ; "(" & Left ( n ; 3 ) & ")" & Middle ( n , 4, 3 ) & "-" Right ( n ; 4 ) )

Put this in an auto-entered calculation with "do not replace existing values..." cleared and you'll see the formatting added when you exit the field. A more sophisticated version of this calculation can check the number of digits entered and add a default area code if desired.

Put the same expression in a calculation field, but with the name of your field in place of "self" and you get one field for data entry where you just enter the digits and a second calculation field for displaying the formatted phone number.

• 2. Re: Help with a phone number field
            BarryMillenson

PhilModJunk,

Thanks for your response, I tried to enter what you put but I am still getting an error.

Is there not a built in Field Format that would format the number automatically as a Phone Number?

Barry

• 3. Re: Help with a phone number field
              philmodjunk

What exactly did you enter and in one kind of field? I described two different approaches so I need to know what you tried.

There is no built in phone number format.

• 4. Re: Help with a phone number field
                BarryMillenson

Ok, I went into Manage Database and I clicked on the field that I have called "Home Phone".  When I double click on the field another box opens that says Options for Field "Home Phone".

Toward the bottom of the box there is a line that says Calculate  next to it is Specify.  so I clicked specify and another box opens that says specify calculation.  I then entered what you sent me

Let ( n = Filter ( Self ; 98765543210 ) ; "(" & Left ( n ; 3 ) & ")" & Middle ( n , 4, 3 ) & "-" Right ( n ; 4 ) )

I changed the word Self to Home Phone so it looked like this

Let ( n = Filter ( Home Phone ;) ; "(" & Left ( n ; 3 ) & ")" & Middle ( n , 4, 3 ) & "-" Right ( n ; 4 ) )

That's when I get an error and something is wrong.

Thanks,

Barry

• 5. Re: Help with a phone number field
                  philmodjunk

You should be able to use self instead of the field name.

What does the error message report? Is any part of the expression highlighted?

• 6. Re: Help with a phone number field
                    BarryMillenson

When I enter exactly what you put

and try to save it the word Right is highlited in blue and the pop up box says

An operator (e.g. +, -,*, ...) is expected here.

• 7. Re: Help with a phone number field
                      philmodjunk

Aha! there's a typo in my example. A & was left out.

Use:

Let ( n = Filter ( Self ; 98765543210 ) ; "(" & Left ( n ; 3 ) & ")" & Middle ( n , 4, 3 ) & "-" & Right ( n ; 4 ) )

• 8. Re: Help with a phone number field
                        BarryMillenson

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!

It worked.

Again,  thanks for your help.