1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 24, 2012 11:30 AM by philmodjunk

Help with adding tax calculation

Stuee

Title

Help with adding tax calculation

Hi.

I currently have my setup as line1+line 2....... = subtotal + freight = total.  

i have my txt box setup so it shows 10% of the total so its included.

What i do want to do thoug is add a tickbox next to the tax box so if ticked it will add 10% to the total and show that 10%  and if unticked default then it just shows the 10% of the total.

The reason is some customers i include tax in the total but some clients i tell them price without tax as thats how they expect it.

if someone could assist me with this as im lost i would appreciate it.

Thanks

Stuart

• 1. Re: Help with adding tax calculation
          philmodjunk

I currently have my setup as line1+line 2....... = subtotal + freight = total. 

individual fields (line1 + line 2...) are not the ideal structure for your database. a related lineitems table will be much easier to work with. See this simple demo file: http://fmforums.com/forum/showpost.php?post/309136/

To "show the 10%" as a separate value, use this calculation field:

If ( Not IsEmpty(checkboxField) ; UnTaxedTotal * TaxRate )

Define UnTaxedTotal as you currently define your total field.

Modify the design for total as: subtotal + freight + TaxAmount

Use a field for TaxRate. This field should look up a value from another table or auto-enter the current contents of a global field. That's because tax rates change and such a set up allows you to change the current tax rate without changing the totals calculated in previous records in your system.