1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 31, 2011 10:47 AM by philmodjunk

Help with auto updating inventory levels

EdYost

Title

Help with auto updating inventory levels

Hi.

I am creating a database for my brother that involves a system to indicate how many scout badges are on hand and have been given out per scout. As they get more shipments in, the inventory on hand will update automatically.

I have some experience with databases, but this is getting me stumped. I am using FileMaker Pro v.6. Any suggestions or recommendations would be great.

Thanks,

Ed

• 1. Re: Help with auto updating inventory levels
          philmodjunk

I know it costs money, but please upgrade to a newer version if at all possible. FileMaker 6's days of usability are truly numbered and you don't want to get caught in a situation where your computer has died and all replacement systems you can find do not run FileMaker 6....

Search this forum for "inventory Log".

You should find a number of threads that discuss setting up a log table where each addition and removal of an item from inventory is logged as a separate record with a summary field used to compute current inventory levels. Since you have FileMaker 6, these threads discuss a summary option that I doubt is avaialable in your version that restarts a running total with each new group. If that's the case, you can still use this method, but will only be able to view one specific item's inventory log records at a time. An alternative that will work in FileMaker 6, would be to use a related table with a Sum function to show the current inventory for all items in your database.