3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2013 10:32 AM by IT_User

Help with Bulk Adding Field Values Based to a Search Result Set

AnthonyBaker

Title

Help with Bulk Adding Field Values Based to a Search Result Set

Hey Folks,

I'm relatively new to FileMaker Pro and am currently using it to audit and make sense of a collection of 190,000 items.

Would love some feedback on how to accomplish an item that will make a world of difference for me:

I was originally conducting searches in my data to PRUNE (delete) items that were not needed. Would look like: "Search for all items in the collection that have a name of 'c_' and get back 10,000 items and then delete them all."

Instead, however, what I'd like to do is conduct a search for a set of the items, then bulk-add a value to a field tied to these items. Something like this is easily accomplished in Excel — highlight a column, and bulk-paste a single value for all rows in that column.

"Search for all items in the collection that have a name of 'c_' and get back 10,000 items and then set the value of a field called 'Action' to 'Remove'."

Not clear, however, how a setting the value of a specific field on all items from a search can be accomplished. There doesn't seem to be a "SELECT ALL" option for a given field...

Any thoughts? Would prefer to be able to do this in FileMaker Pro directly, versus doing a CSV export or something of my search sets and doing the field value setting in Excel, then re-importing. That's tedious. 

Thanks a lot!