3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2009 6:50 AM by ninja

help with calculations for year/resetting counter

Smash209

Title

help with calculations for year/resetting counter

I'm trying to setup a log of all my various rolls of film.  The catch is I want the unquie number to start with the last two digits of the year and then increment by 1 until the year changes.  So 2006 has 3 rolls (0601, 0602, 0603).  Now 2007 has 2 rolls (0701, 0702).

I was able to extract the last two digits of the year using the Right function, but I cannot figure how to make a counter that resets each year.

• 1. Re: help with calculations for year/resetting counter
          ninja

Howdy Smash209,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the post.

I do the same for materials instead of film.  Are you looking for Year ( Get(CurrentDate))  ) ?

I personally found it fairly simple to leave it manual.  Year end has a checklist for: server maintenance, archiving data, copying year end backups, and setting my autoenter serial ID# startpoint from 2008000001 to 2009000001.  Simple.

• 2. Re: help with calculations for year/resetting counter
            Smash209

I understand your explanation and I guess I could do it manually, but I'm mostly logging rolls from several years ago.  So I was looking for a solution that would allow me to keep adding rolls to different years, and have filemaker keep track of the organization, if that makes sense.

Maybe there's a better way entirely to organize it, I'm open to suggestions, and I'm new to filemaker, so I may not have learned all I should have before starting this endeavor.

• 3. Re: help with calculations for year/resetting counter
              ninja

Howdy Smash209,

Not knowing your Dbase layout, I'll assume that it's fine...lets stick to the ID#

In Autoenter options, you can set your SerialID to start with a number, lets say "200700000001".  Now log your rolls from 2007.  When you're all done with 2007, redefine your Autoenter Serial to start with "200800000001".  And so forth.

When you're all done and now just progressing with this year's...try the method posted above, or something like it.

How does that sound?  It would replace your all-manual entry with one 'tweak' per year.