3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2010 3:25 PM by philmodjunk

Help with conditional formatting in FileMaker 11 please!

user14830

Title

Help with conditional formatting in FileMaker 11 please!

Hello friends!

I am using FileMaker Pro 11.  

I am trying to set a conditional format to "grey out" a line of data, (or change the color of 5 different fields), based on the value of one of my fields.

I am working on a database to log poker hands for my company.  If a player folds his hand, I enter "F" in the "Player Action" field.  I would like the conditional format to grey out the entire line for that player to show that he/she wasn't in the hand.  I have set up a conditional format formula that wil grey out the specific "Player Action" field, but I would really like to see it grey out the whole line.

Can this be done with a conditional format?  Or will it need to be a script instead??

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Help with conditional formatting in FileMaker 11 please!
          philmodjunk

As long as you base your condition on a formula instead of a value, this should easily be done with a conditional format expression.

You can select all the fields while in layout mode and apply the same conditional format to all of them in one step. Just keep in mind that "self" has a different context for each such field if you use that in the expression.

• 2. Re: Help with conditional formatting in FileMaker 11 please!
            user14830

Awesome thanks!!!  This is a great program!  

Can you help with this as well???

I got the entier line to grey out with your help.  Now I would like to leave those players behind as the hand continues on.  

In Poker there are different betting streets.  Pre-flop, the flop, the turn, and the river are all opportunities to bet of fold. As a player either calls a bet, or raises, I would like to see there names, and cards pasted below, while the players that folded are left behind. 

Is this possible????

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Help with conditional formatting in FileMaker 11 please!
              philmodjunk

Assuming each player is a separate record, you can simply exclude them from the current found set when they fold.

While you could use Omit record for this, I suspect this is a "game" where the players play over time and may open and close the file while the game is still ongoing. In that case, you could set a field to a value such as 1 when they fold and use a find to find only those player records that do not have 1 in that field.

If you are displaying these records in a portal, you might also be able to filter the portal (can be done in all filemaker versions not just 11), to exclude players that have folded.