5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2009 1:55 PM by mrvodka

Help With conditional Setup

Maker22

Title

Help With conditional Setup

I ceated four different databases in one. I have different names for each. If I have a "checkbox set" With the names of each of the databases how can I put contact info into one as well as another based on which check box I checked?

Ex: I participate in Volleyball (X), Basketball (X), Hiking, and Golfing (X)

Contact info is intended for the Vball, Bball, and Golf Databases not the Hiking.

Please help. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Help With conditional Setup
          mrvodka
             It seems as though your structure is off. You probably should have one table of activity with a type field.
          • 2. Re: Help With conditional Setup
            Maker22

How can I clean up my structure? I have all the files connected so if I type in one it shows up in all four. I am trying to get it to only be in those specified by this one question. Is there anyway to do that?

• 3. Re: Help With conditional Setup
              mrvodka

My point is that you shouldnt be having conditional files...

Perhaps you can provide further details on what you are trying to do and what your current files look like.

• 4. Re: Help With conditional Setup
                Maker22

Okay basically I have one file for four different programs. I keep contact information in all of them. So instead of having to retype one person's info into three different locations they are involved in I would like to click on a box so that it can copy it into the different locations for me.

Like I was saying if I have volleyball and basketball but not hiking. I would like the contact information in the volleyball and basketball databases.

When I type information into any one of the different databases it shows up in all four. I am fairly new to filemaker and this is my first attempt to have four relational database.

• 5. Re: Help With conditional Setup
                  mrvodka

Again I think that it would better server you to have two tables. One contacts table and one table for activity. You could go even as far as 3 tables depending on your needs: Contacts, Activity, SignUp.

So lets say that you have A basketball, soccer, and hiking events. Well Contact "John" could sign up for the basketball event and the soccer event but not the hiking event.