3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2009 11:10 AM by philmodjunk

Help with creating interfaces and scripts??

coni

Title

Help with creating interfaces and scripts??

I can't seem to find any step-by-step tutorials or help for actually creating a user interface. Right now, I have a whole bunch of layouts/tables for Projects, then each Project has numerous Experiments, Personnel, Procedures, etc. What I'm looking for is how to make a layout that organizes all of my records in the other tables, along with buttons to create a new record, sort, find, etc. I don't really understand how the scripts are supposed to work.

Basically, I know there are table/list/form views, but how do I create a layout that combines a few of them? As in, have a summary screen of all the Project records, be able to sort them by ID # and date (how do I write the buttons script for this), and have an area where users can enter more project information and click a button to make it into a new Project record? Is there a way to combine two layouts onto one? 

Another quick question - is there some way I can have a list of all the Project records I have, and then click on a record to go to the actual form version of it and be able to change/add information?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Help with creating interfaces and scripts??
          philmodjunk

Suggestion 1: Look up Portals in filemaker's on line help system. This is a tool that lets you display multiple records in a small "sub form" as part of a larger layout.

Suggestion 2: Look up Summary Parts in the on line help. Summary and Sub-Summary reports are a way to group records by a category with labeled group headings.

"Is there some way I can have a list of all the Project records I have, and then click on a record to go to the actual form version of it and be able to change/add information?"

Create a list/report type layout that lists your project records. Put a button in the body of this layout so you see a button as part of each set of Project fields listed. Set the button to use Go To Layout to switch to a second, Form View layout to display the same record for view/editing.

• 2. Re: Help with creating interfaces and scripts??
            coni

what about this part?

"and have an area where users can enter more project information and click a button to make it into a new Project record? "

• 3. Re: Help with creating interfaces and scripts??
              philmodjunk
                 That's a hard one to respond to without knowing exactly what you mean by "enter more project information". This might be accomplished simply by the user creating a new record and entering the data.