3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2010 8:50 AM by philmodjunk

Help with deployment of database

AndrewClarkson

Title

Help with deployment of database

Hi,

I currently own filemaker pro advanced 11, and am about to set up a database. The database will need to be accessed from several locations on the same network - one kiosk terminal, and then one or two admin locations.

I was wondering what the best way to go about doing this is? I have tried using the Developer Utilities in FMP to save the database as a stand alone program - but I assume I can't use web sharing like this? Will I need to buy filemaker pro server or is there a better way to do it without buying more software?

Thanks for your advice!

• 1. Re: Help with deployment of database
          BrianRoach

The FM Pro Server is the best way to do this.

• 2. Re: Help with deployment of database
            PointInSpace

You may want to consider using a Professional FileMaker Hosting provider, such as ourselves:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

We provide the server hardware, FileMaker Server Advanced licenses, upgrades, monitoring, etc.  And you can deduct services 100% on your taxes, versus having to depreciate hardware and software over a number of years.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions either here or off-list to jmay(at)pointinspace.com.  Thanks!

- John

• 3. Re: Help with deployment of database
              philmodjunk

"The database will need to be accessed from several locations on the same network - one kiosk terminal, and then one or two admin locations."

While both of those options work and work well, given only three locations all on the same network, they may be far more than you really need here.

You can install FileMaker Pro on all three machines, then Install FileMaker and your solutions on a fourth machine. Open the files on this one machine, the host, then use Open Remote on the other machines to link to them. Using FileMaker Pro as the host supports up to 9 such simultaneous users. That's not to say that using Server isn't a nicer way to go as it offers better security, performance and back up options, but given the difference in cost, you may want to consider this cheaper option--you can always "scale up" to a server at a later date if you find you need/want to.