2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2012 1:41 PM by MaxwellRobin

Help with drop down menus

MaxwellRobin

Title

Help with drop down menus

Hi All!

So I have a field with a drop down menu.

The menu gets its value list from a field in another table.

When I click a value it populates the field as it should.

If i click a new value it repopulates the field with the new value.

What i would like it to do is add the new value to what is already populated.

Also, i wuld like filemaker to recognize if the numbers are in sequence or not.

for example:

The user clicks the number "1" from the drop down menu.

What the field should look like is this "1"

The user then clicks the number "2" from the drop down menu.

What the field should look like is this "1-2"

The user then clicks the number "3"

What the field should look like is this "1-3"

The user then clicks the number "5"

What the field should look like is this "1-3, 5"

The user then clicks the number "6"

What the field should look like is this "1-3, 5-6"

The user then clicks the number "7"

What the field should look like is this "1-3, 5-7"

And so on.

The user should also be able to click values out of numerical order and filemaker will order then in numeral sequence like what was stated above.

Is this possible?

If so some help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Help with drop down menus
          davidanders

Drop Down has one value by default.

Checkbox can have multiple values by default.

Check "1"  field contains "1"

Then Check "2"  field contains

1 [return] 2

The subsequent checks are added to the bottom - unchecking "1", rechecking "1" will result in 2 [return] 1

Checking "7, 6, 5, 4" will result in 7 [return] 6 [return] 5 [return] 4

You can put a copy of the same field on the same layout with different entry options to see this in action.

http://www.filemaker.com/11help/html/edit_layout.10.25.html

Home > Designing and creating databases > Editing objects on layouts > Formatting and setting up field objects in Layout mode > Setting up a field to display a pop-up menu, checkbox set, or other control

And this is interesting...

Popup Menu VS Drop-down List
               The two behave very differently, and are for different purposes.
               To prevent your users from entering values other than what's in the list, use a popup menu.
               To let them enter values other than what's in the list, use a Drop-down List.If the value list is based on the contents of a field (say, an ID), AND is displaying data from a second field (say, a Name), and you want the value list to only show data from the second field (just the names, even though the IDs are being entered into the field), use a popup menu.
               After selecting a value from such a list in a popup, the popup displays the name, while the ID is actually stored in the field. A drop-down list, when you're picking from the list, you only see the names.But once a value is picked, you see the number (not the name) displayed.
          VS Drop-Down Plus Pop-up Combo
               And then there is the old "drop-down plus pop-up" scheme for use when the value list references two fields (typically a key and a description, to store the key but always display the description)
               1] Define a field to use a drop-down menu
               2] Overlay a second instance of the same field, specifying a pop-up menu that uses the same value list
               ... Define the same "Fill" color as the first instance and turn off all borders
               3] Check both "Browse Mode" and "Find Mode" under "Field entry" for the bottom (drop-down) instance
               4] Uncheck both "Browse Mode" and "Find Mode" under "Field entry" for the top (pop-up) instance
               This has the advantage of the easier-to-use and flexible drop-down menu for entry, plus the overlaid second instance always displays the second (description) field.

• 2. Re: Help with drop down menus
            MaxwellRobin

this seems like it would work but not really what i am looking for.

im interested in having only a drop down list that populates an editable text field.

i would then like the field to operate as stated in the first post.

any ideas?

thank you!