4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2010 11:43 AM by philmodjunk

Help with emailing list shown in portal.

fluffyone

Title

Help with emailing list shown in portal.

Hi Group

I have a form set up  that has a field for the subject of an email, a field for the body text of the email, some other fields and a portal with email contacts in.

It all looks as I intend, and is pulling in the data correctly. I have a bottom on the form that runs a send email command and I want to call up the data in the portal for the email addresses. And it wont?

The portal is pointing to a data source based on a relation ship and works fine.

On the send email button, for the email addresses I have selected the same source field as the portal but it doesn't seem to look at the relationship the same?

Are there any pointers to what I am doing wrong?

Regards

Fluffy

• 1. Re: Help with emailing list shown in portal.
          philmodjunk

I'm guessing you're only seeing the email address for the first record in the portal. That's how this kind of reference is expected to work. You'll need a calculation that pulls all your related records into a list and replaces the carriage returns with the correct delimitter before you can send the one email to everyone in the portal.

Substitute ( List ( YourPortal::EmailField ) ; "¶" ; ";" )

If your email software needs a comma instead of a semi-colon, change the above calculation accordingly.

• 2. Re: Help with emailing list shown in portal.
            fluffyone

Hi Phil

that's perfect.

How do you guys know this stuff!  I hope i can learn the code as time goes on.

Thankyou a million times

Regards

Fluffy

• 3. Re: Help with emailing list shown in portal.
              fluffyone

Hi Phil

This worked a treat, but I have recently put another post up as I want to send individual email to each person on the list in the portal. And at the top of the body in the email mr vodka has pointed me in the right direction to insert the contact name. But I want to send one to each contact in the portal, which is a grouped set of contacts.

Is this possible?

Regards

Fluffy

• 4. Re: Help with emailing list shown in portal.
                philmodjunk

I don't send a lot of emails from filemaker so others may have a better solution but this sounds like you'd need to set your script up to loop through your list of email records and send out each email individually.

You can use the Loop script step with Go to Record [next, exit after last] to step through a found set of records.