5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2012 10:47 AM by philmodjunk

Help with field

RafaelCassis

Title

Help with field

Hi guys

I have two doubts related to the same field

The first is:

in my database I have a description field.
      The content of this field is generally larger than the own field, and this way I need the scroll bar.
      I can only use the scroll bar when the field is selected and when I click off the field, the text back to the beginning!
      How do I keep the text at the position where it was before clicking off the field?

The second is:

How do I do to print only the content of this field?
      I tried to create a script but as I'm still learning to use the program, I could not!

Thanks

PS: I use FileMaker Pro 12!

• 1. Re: Help with field
          philmodjunk

1) I don't think that there's much you can do to prevent the scroll bar from "snapping back" when you exit the field.

2) Can you provide an example of what you want here? Printing just the contents of a single field seems very unusual. It is possible to set up a field that shrinks down to fit the available data when printing/previewing or saving as a PDF--that might be what you have in mind here.

• 2. Re: Help with field
            RafaelCassis

1 -) It really is not good news! Frown

2 -) I wanted to print the contents of a field, but now I want to print only the contents of a record. I created a new layout for print and I'm finding two difficulties.

How to build a script to get the contents of the record sent to the layout that I created and print only the content and not all of the base?

• 3. Re: Help with field
              philmodjunk

You don't send the contents anywhere, you just change layouts using a layout based on the same table occurrence as your original layout. This layout can have just this one field on it set with the sliding options so that it can shrink down to just the size needed.

With regards to 1), what issues does this create for the design of your layout?

Perhaps we can come up with an alternative design that eliminates or reduces the severity of those issues. (One possible option I can think of is to reduce the amount of data in a single field by splitting the data up and putting portions of the total data in separate, related records. Then a portal can be used to display your data and its scroll bar can be set to not "snap back".)

• 4. Re: Help with field
                RafaelCassis
                How do I print the contents of a record only?
                How do I get the impression from the field "decrição", can be printed on as many pages as necessary?

1 -) I want to do a job of transcribing an mp3 file and when I have to pause the audio, my description field back to the beginning, and every time I need to return to the point where he was to continue. This is bad because when I give the play again, my description field back to the beginning and I miss the exact point where I'm in the transcript!
                • 5. Re: Help with field
                  philmodjunk

How do I print the contents of a record only?

Print with the current record option selected will only print one record--the current record in your found set.

How do I get the impression from the field "decrição", can be printed on as many pages as necessary?

After you place this field on your layout, you can drag it's selection handles to make this one field very large. It can be multiple pages in length and you can resize the layout to provide the space needed so you can make the field that large.

1) Use two windows--put the container field for the mp3 file on a layout in window 1 and use window 2 to transcribe the data into the text field. This should allow you to leave the cursor in the text field and not "snap back" when you click on the play back controls for the MP3 file.

2) Transcribe the text into a word processor file instead of FileMaker. When you are done, you can:

a) copy and paste the text into your text field

b) save a PDF of the word processor file and insert it into a container field in FileMaker

c) save the word processor file and insert it into a container field