4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2014 10:52 AM by philmodjunk

Help with form for data entry

SoniaB

Title

Help with form for data entry

I have tried searching on this, but I guess I don't know the keywords to use, so I haven't found anything. 

I'm trying to make a form for entering data from a survey. I want to make it as easy as possible for those entering the data. However, I also want the data to be in a format I can use when I analyze it with statistical software. That is where I'm having my problems.

I want the actual data to be numeric. So for example, I want 1=blue, 2=red, 3=green. On the paper forms the people entering the data have, they show the blue, red and green. But I want the data to be 1,2,3. Is there a way to do this easily?

I know I could have them enter the numbers, but I want to minimize errors.

Thanks. 

• 1. Re: Help with form for data entry
          SteveMartino

You probably could have another field, with an auto enter calculation that substitutes 1 for blue, 2 for red, 3 for green.  This field doesn't have to be on the survey layout, but can be on a layout of survey results, which could then be used to export.

• 2. Re: Help with form for data entry
            philmodjunk

Use values from field value lists can display text yet enter numeric values into the field--even check box and radio button formats can be set to do this.

How you structure your tables and relationships can make it much easier to analyze your results. I suggest something along the lines of the example found here: Need aid on generating a report from a survey layout.

• 3. Re: Help with form for data entry
              SoniaB

"Use values from field value lists can display text yet enter numeric values into the field--even check box and radio button formats can be set to do this."

How can I do this??

• 4. Re: Help with form for data entry
                philmodjunk

Create a table with two fields. One field stores the text. One field stores the numeric value associated with it.

Create one record in this table for each value and enter the appropriate text and numbers.

Define a "use values from field" value list and select the number field for field1, the text field for field 2.

Select the "Show only values from second field" option.

Use this value list with any value list format, check boxes, drop down lists etc. The value list will display the text, but enter the number.

Note that the text field must be indexed and the values in the text field must be unique for each record.

If you have never created a "use values from field" value list, you might check out the illustrated step by step instructions for setting one up found in Adventures in FileMaking #1 - conditional value lists.