AnsweredAssumed Answered

Help with getting related records from linking table to display in dropdown list

Question asked by BenjaminDestrempes on Aug 3, 2012
Latest reply on Aug 3, 2012 by BenjaminDestrempes

Title

Help with getting related records from linking table to display in dropdown list

Good afternoon,

I am running into a simple issue on my FMPro 12 Advanced database.

I have a table named projects and a table named ressources. I want to be able to assign multiple ressources to multiple projects and I tried doing so using a table named, for our example, project_ressources.

The project table contains the id and project_name fields. The ressource table contains the id and ressource_name fields.

The project_ressources table contains the id, fk_project_id and fk_ressource_id fields. The fk_project_id field is linked to the id field of the project table and allows the creation of records on project_ressources. The fk_ressource_id field is linked to the id field of the ressource table.

On the project table is a portal displaying related records from the project_ressources table and that portal contains a simple dropdown displaying the names of the ressources. Selecting a ressource creates a record in the project_ressources table linking the IDs of the project and the ressource. So far, so good.

My issue starts when I want to display a dropdown menu listing projects only related to a specific ressource identified in a field on another layout called timesheet. Basically, if that field says John Doe, I want the dropdown menu to display only the projects related to John Doe in project_ressources. I have not been able to do so using value lists. My value list shows the project_name field of the project table but if I choose to only show related records based on the project_ressources table, nothing shows up. What am I doing wrong?

Attached is a screenshot of the relationships.

example.jpg

Outcomes