4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2014 4:18 PM by DavidTrimmings

Help with Hide Object When Calculation

DavidTrimmings

Title

Help with Hide Object When Calculation

Hi there,

I'm fairly new to FileMaker so please excuse me if I'm missing something obvious (which I'm sure I am).

I have a placed image on a layout which I'm trying to show/hide depending on the status of the record I'm in, so I'm using the Hide Object When function in the Inspector.  I want the image to hide when the status doesn't match the 2 statements in speech marks (or show when it does match them if you prefer) - I've shown the calculation I'm using below, but the image only shows when the status matches the first statement in speech marks.  It seems I'm not getting the OR operator to work in my calculation:

PP WORKNOTE::Status ≠ "With Artist for Amends" or "With Proofreader for Amends check"

I've tried this as well but to no avail:

PP WORKNOTE::Status ≠ "With Artist for Amends" or PP WORKNOTE::Status ≠ "With Proofreader for Amends check"

Can anyone shed any light on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

• 1. Re: Help with Hide Object When Calculation
          philmodjunk

PP WORKNOTE::Status ≠ "With Artist for Amends" or PP WORKNOTE::Status ≠ "With Proofreader for Amends check"

is correct syntax but will always evaluate as true and thus your object should always be hidden.

Consider:

If Status= "With Artist for Amends" , then the first term is false, but the second is true. False or True = True
               IF Status= "With Proofreader for Amends check" then the first term is true, but the second term is false. True or False = True
               and if Status= "any other value that you can enter here", then both the first and second terms are true, True or True = True.

It would appear that you need:

PP WORKNOTE::Status ≠ "With Artist for Amends" AND PP WORKNOTE::Status ≠ "With Proofreader for Amends check"

if you want the image to hide on when one of these two values is not stored in status.

• 2. Re: Help with Hide Object When Calculation
            philmodjunk

sigh...

seems my fingers wouldn't type what my brain dictated. I took multiple edits after the original post to get that all straight. If you are reading this reply as email, please open the forum and read my explanation as posted there. The edits that I had to make will not be found in your email and make what I posted rather confusing...

• 3. Re: Help with Hide Object When Calculation
              DavidTrimmings

Perfect Phil and very well explained - it's obvious now that I see your explanation!

Thanks a million,

Dave.

• 4. Re: Help with Hide Object When Calculation
                DavidTrimmings

And my fingers aren't working either - I just selected the wrong post as the best answer!  It works though, so thanks again.