3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2012 10:06 AM by philmodjunk

Help with If/Then formula

RickKughen

Title

Help with If/Then formula

Hello,

I am new to using Filemaker. I am a baseball card collector and I have managed my baseball card collection in an Excel worksheet for a long time. As you can imagine, that worksheet has gotten unwieldy, so I upgraded to Filemaker Pro 12.

What I am trying to do is this:

1. Each card is assigned a value, such as MINT, VERY GOOD, EXCELLENT, etc.  This condition is chosen from a drop down menu in one of my fields.

2. Each card has a book value based on the card being in perfect condition. I am entering this manually for each card as a dollar amount.

3. I would like for another field to show the book value adjusted by condition of the card. For instance, if a card has a book value of $10 and the card is in VERY GOOD condition, the value would be adjusted accordingly.

In my Excel database, I set up a If/Then function like this:

=IF(I32="VG",N32*0.5,IF(I32="EX",N32*0.75,IF(I32="EXMT",N32*1,IF(I32="MINT",N32*1.5,IF(I32="P",N32*0.1,IF(I32="G",N32*0.25,IF(I32="F",N32*0.15,C1*4)))))))

Is it possible to do something similar in Filemaker? I have tried a variety of different formulas, but have not been able to make it work.

Thank you for your help!

- rick

• 1. Re: Help with If/Then formula
          Sorbsbuster

A case statement is much nicer.  Eg, for the field CardValue:

Case (

Condition = "VG" ; BookValue * 0.5 ;

Condition = "EX" ; BookValue * 0.75 ;

Condition = "EXMT" ; BookValue ;

Condition = "MINT" ; BookValue * 1.5 ;

Condition = "P" ; BookValue * 0. ;

Condition = "G" ; BookValue * 0.25 ;

Condition = "F" ; BookValue * 0.15 ;

[whatever that value C1*4 would be]

)

You could make your calculation more flexible for the future by maintaining a table of the multipliers, in case they changed as the market changed.

• 2. Re: Help with If/Then formula
            RickKughen

Thanks, Sorbsbuster! This worked perfectly! I really appreciate your help! :)

• 3. Re: Help with If/Then formula
              philmodjunk

And with a table of the mutlipliers, you can also eliminate the need for any If or Case function if you set up the correct relationship for this table of values--which adds even more flexibility to the design and function of your database.