3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2010 2:43 PM by PaulSt

Help with import.log

PaulSt

Title

Help with import.log

When importing new records into a db, Filemaker will usually write info to a file called "Import.log" located in the same folder as the db file. In the recent past, this would work for me. Now it is not working. Nothing is written to the file upon importing new records, no matter if there are import errors or not. I think I moved the file out of the folder, but I did move it back.

I am using FM Pro Advanced 11.0v2 on Mac OSX 10.6.5.

So: 

1. How do you cause FM to start or stop writing to import.log (I can't find a preference for this)?

2. Can you change the name of import.log and have it still work?

Thanks,

Paul

• 1. Re: Help with import.log
          FentonJones

I would delete the Import.log file, then see if FileMaker creates another one. I delete those files all the time, as I am only interested in the things I've done recently.

• 2. Re: Help with import.log
            PaulSt

I have deleted the import.log file and tried a new import. No new import.log file is created (I looked in the folder with the DB file, on the desktop, and in my Documents folder).

• 3. Re: Help with import.log
              PaulSt

Someone helped me in another FM forum. It seems that the import.log is updated only if you are importing records which create a NEW DB file, or if you are importing scripts, custom functions, and likely other types of imports. Importing records to an EXISTING DB file does NOT update the import.log file.

Too bad. Seems like it would be useful to know which records were imported successfully or not...

Is this something that FM will be fixing or adding any time soon???

Thanks,

Paul