1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 15, 2011 1:51 PM by BenFletcher

Help with importing an old repeating field based DB into new tables based one

BenFletcher

Title

Help with importing an old repeating field based DB into new tables based one

Not sure but I'll probably have to script this or something.  Hope I can explain this one...

I have an old database that was made using repeating fields. Unfortunately (for me) it is a sales slip database with information pulled in from all kinds of other files. So far I've been able to split the repeating fields into the line items table, the customers into customers and have got almost all the data to pull itself in. Almost....The problem I'm still having is with the portal in the new sales slip table. It shows the related product that was bought, but doesn't show the price info. I'm guessing this is because the portal is set up to pull info in from the products table and not to fill from the line items table.  So that's the last part of the puzzle that needs to be completed.... I need the portal to use the related information from the line items table. I'm guessing this will have to be done with a script and set field or something, but not sure. Hope someone knows the answer (-:

• 1. Re: Help with importing an old repeating field based DB into new tables based one
          BenFletcher

Oh the woes of importing old databases (-: Turns out everything was importing great, but since the old sales slip table was flat with repeating fields and allowed the client to type in address info in the table without creating a client.... well I'm sure you get the picture. There were about a 100 records without clients because they had been hand entered and the same thing was happening in the repeating fields themselves where the product info should have been pulled from the products database, however sometimes the client typed in their own products and pricing... screws imports totally up. Suffice it to say that the new version does not allow anything of this (-: Wasn't going to anyway. 

Still good to know that it doesn't require a lot of complicated stuff. Just pull the repeating fields into the line items databse without automatically adding sn numbers etc. and after you've done that you can import the rest of the sales slip into the new sales slip table and everything shows up in the portal automatically! Too cool