9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2009 11:32 AM by philmodjunk

Help with Launching Quicktime Movie

shogun

Title

Help with Launching Quicktime Movie

Hi All- 

I'd like some help with a script to facilitate playing QT's movies in FM.  

I have a database where I'm storing QT's as a container file [reference only].  When I click on the QT file icon QT launches the player and the movie plays with the QT player as desired. 

What I'd like to do is have another layout with a scripted button "play movie" that when clicked will launch the Quicktime movie player.

Any ideas?

-S 

• 1. Re: Help with Launching Quicktime Movie
          philmodjunk
             I believe Go To FIeld [select, tablename::containerfield] (I may have the parameters backwards :smileywink: ) will do what you want. Put the field and table of your quick time move in place of tablename::containerfield.
          • 2. Re: Help with Launching Quicktime Movie
            shogun

PhilModJunk -

Your solution works if the layout is within the same database however I should have made clear that the "button" I'd like to reference this movie will be in another database.  How do I make a relation when working with a button?

• 3. Re: Help with Launching Quicktime Movie
              philmodjunk

The solution is the same, you just have to first locate the correct record with the field you need to select/perform.

Do you have a relationship linking the tables with your QT movies to the current table?

Is the container field on the same layout, different layout, different file?

You can use the data in your current recort to either perform a find on the other table and layout to locate the right file or you can use Go To Related record if you have a relationship that works. (Note that with Go To Related Record, you need to test for the existance of a related record before you use it in order to avoid getting unexpected and confusing results.)

• 4. Re: Help with Launching Quicktime Movie
                shogun

PhilModJunk -

Thank you for the information. I'm still not able to make this work, I can get this to work in the same layout but not in another file.

When I take the button that is working in the layout as describe and copy paste to the new file and layout it does not work.

Any thoughts?

• 5. Re: Help with Launching Quicktime Movie
                  philmodjunk

shogun wrote:

PhilModJunk -

Thank you for the information. I'm still not able to make this work, I can get this to work in the same layout but not in another file.

When I take the button that is working in the layout as describe and copy paste to the new file and layout it does not work.

Any thoughts?

I am assuming when you say another file, you mean exactly that--not another table of the same file.

You won't be able to copy and paste the button without also updating its settings. If your button is set to perform the single script step "go to field", enter layout mode and double click the button to bring up its settings. Respecify the field containing your QT movie. If your button is set to perform a script, you'll need to create a script in the new file for it to perform.

• 6. Re: Help with Launching Quicktime Movie
                    shogun

Yes another file - separate FM database.

Here is the script that is not working...

Enter Browse Mode

Go to Related Record [From table: "Dailies1"; Using layout:<Current Layout>]

Go to Field [Select/perform; Dailies1::dailies movie QuickTime reference]

• 7. Re: Help with Launching Quicktime Movie
                      philmodjunk

Does the Go To Related Record step take you to the correct layout with the correct record?

• 8. Re: Help with Launching Quicktime Movie
                        shogun
                           No.  The only result I get is "This operation could not be completed because this layout cannot display the result".
                        • 9. Re: Help with Launching Quicktime Movie
                          philmodjunk

I suspected as much. Go To related record is great when it works and a pain in the anatomy when it doesn't.

Go To Related Record is intended to use a relationship to generate a found set of matching records. Often this foundset is in a different table. Thus you have an option for specifying a layout which may be different from your current layout. What that oh so vague error message is trying to tell you is "I found your related records (if any) but they don't work with the current layout because it refers to a different table than the related records I found."

You did say that you copied the button and pasted it into a layout of the second file correct? Is it on a layout that displays your QT movie container field?

If so, then your button only needs to be set up with a single script step: Go To Field [Select/Perform, tablename::fieldname]

Note that "tablename" and "fieldname" may be different from the first instance in your main file. Enter layout mode, double click the container field and take note of the table and field name listed in the dialog box that pops up. Your set field set should refer to the exact same names.