1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 17, 2013 1:26 PM by philmodjunk

Help with my relationships

JaimeHorton

Title

Help with my relationships

hello again everyone 

this question should be pretty simple, i struggle to wrap my head around relationships in file maker. i'm new but i'm learning 

ok so 

i'm making a concert advance database 

i have a main layout COnfirmation where all the basic info is entered about the show, what i would like to do is add a number of additonal tables to enter other data related to the one show. things like catering and labor calls ect ect. im thinking i create tables for them all and link to the main confirmation table 

however it doesn't create new records for the catering and labor when i create a new record on the confirmation, i have them linked with the confirmation as the parent and the others as foregn keys 

i would like to be able to create a new show and have all the following areas create new records and the data match and follow along with the main page 

i know this will be simple for someone but it boggles me 

Thanks in advance 

JHo

• 1. Re: Help with my relationships
          philmodjunk

however it doesn't create new records for the catering and labor when i create a new record on the confirmation,

Yes, but there's no need for it to do that. Until you are ready to enter date in such a related record, the record would be empty and of no use to you anyway.

If you enable "allow creation of records via this relationship" for each of the child records, you can then create a related record in the child table as needed.  If you will have more than one related record in a table linked to the same confirmation table record, use a portal to the child table and then the "allow creation..." option will allow you to add new related records simply by entering data in the blank "add" row of the portal.