1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 22, 2013 8:20 AM by philmodjunk

Help with PDF File to Print

ThomasParsons

Title

Help with PDF File to Print

I have created a FM Pro 11 Adavanced DataBase for student and to track their assignments. When I student completes an assignment I note the date completed and mark the assignemnt "Completed" in a drop down box. Beside eash assignment I have an area I call an action area where I would like to put a button and be able to click that button and send a PDF file (assignment) to the student via email, or a printrer. I cannot for the life of me soert this one out.

In the image below the area Called Action would be a button that would print the assignment to a printer or email it to the student. I do have room to put 2 buttons 1 each for each task.

The only thing I want to do in a nutshell is: How can you set up a button that will print a presaves PDF file and possibly give you the option to email it. I do not want to create a PDF based on the database, only print a specific PDF file I already have in the database. (The blue radio button on the image below is what I want to click to print a specific PDF.

Screen_Shot_2013-07-21_at_4.42.52_PM.png

• 1. Re: Help with PDF File to Print
          philmodjunk

Without knowing more about the design of your database, we really can't make much in the way of specific instructions. Off hand, it looks like you have either a repeating field of 17 repetitions or 17 individual fields. Either design approach imposes complications that can be reduced/avoided if you set up each row of fields in your screen shot as a separate record. Each such record can then be linked via a relationship to your table of students.

Here is a link to a threaed on saving PDF's in a script that may help get you started with the PDF saving part of this project: Found Sets to PDF with unique file names

Once you can use a script to save the PDF, the same $Path variable can be used to attach the PDF to an email should you want to do that.