2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2010 8:45 AM by SKY

Help with physician and referral database

SKY

Title

Help with physician and referral database

I'm new at filemaker, and am trying to design a database that can keep track of my patient referrals as well as the physicians that refer them.  I would like to be able to have my medical assistant take a new patient and as they are being checked in or preferrably before hand when the appointemnt is being scheduled and enter in all the patient's information along with the referring physician.  As you might imagine, there are many physicians that will refer to me, so it may not be feasable to have a dropdown list as this could get quite long and it will be growing.  I would like that to trigger an occurnace or open a new record for the referring phycian if this is the first time they have referred to me.  I also would like some how to not get duplicates of the same physician if for some reason my medical assistant puts in the middle initial one time and not the next (or have a way that minimizes this chance).  Then on a separate table, I would like records of my referring physicians with a portal on each record of the patient's they have referred to me.

Any thoughts?  I'm having problems with the best way to accomplish this.  Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Help with physician and referral database
          bumper

I'm assuming you are using FMP 11. If so, you will probably want to put the referrers in a separate table. Then you could use a type ahead script and script trigger to filter them by last name in a portal and then once the right doctor has been found a button in the portal row with a script to set that doctors ID into the patient's table. A type ahead has for the user to enter characters into a filter field that populates the portal with every name (I would just use the last name) that meets the filters criteria, S brings up every name that begins with S, SM, SMI, etc, until you spot the name you want. If you complete the name and have no hits left, then another button to create a new physician record. (set up your tables so that each record has a unique ID field and use a relationship to populate the referrer field in the patient's record)

In my experience validating names is actually more problematic, most often a separate calculation field would be created and a simple formula truncating the lastname&firstname&etc. and validate it to be unique. Then you get the father son clinicians who take you to the next level. Not to mention the patients who can't even remember the name of their primary care doctor. Also be prepared for newpaper, yellow pages, friend, neighbor or current patient, etc.

Adding a portal for patients of the same doctor is easy because relationships are bidirectional so in the doctors layout set your portal to filter off of the doctor's ID.

• 2. Re: Help with physician and referral database
            SKY

Bumper,  Thank you for your response!  I really appreciate the information and that gives me a nice framework from which to work.  I'm about 25% of the way through the missing manual, so I'm hopefully gaining the skills to implement your suggestions.  You were correct that I am working with FM11 Pro, sorry I didn't state that in the original question.  Anyway, thanks again.  I'll post back when I either have a mostly finished project or run into stumbling blocks that I can't overcome.