AnsweredAssumed Answered

Help with Portal Concepts

Question asked by RyanFishy on Jul 25, 2011
Latest reply on Jul 25, 2011 by RyanFishy

Title

Help with Portal Concepts

FM Pro 11, Windows XP

I know what I want from a portal, but can't figure out how to get there.  I'm designing an addition to an existing system, so I have some flexibility in how these tables are structured but can't change everything.

Relevant tables:

Individual Metadata - Table of metadata on an individual (fish) (sex, weight, etc) - fixed

Accessions (genetic samples) - groups of *collected* fish (collection location, project, species, etc) -fixed

Metadata SETS - table to organize groups of individual data into experiments or similar - flexible

SETS_Individuals join - table to relate individual metatdata to sets of that data. - flexible

Individuals can only be related to one accession, but could be related to mulitple Metadata SETS

These are (currently) related as outlined in the picture;  SETS <-> SETS_Ind <-> Ind Metadata <-> Accessions. 

Currently, I have a layout based on SETS that tries to show and summarize what is contained in the current SET.  On this layout I have a portal to 'Accessions' to show the different accessions that are related to the current SET.  On this portal showing accessions, I want a count of related metadata entries, so I can see how many from each accession are included in the current SET

I've figured out how to get a total count of metadata for the SET (not broken down by accession) or I can get a total count for that accession accross all SETs, but neither of these quite fits the bill.

I've tried a bunch of different self joins and count fields from different perspectives targeting different things but haven't figured it out.  Let me know if any more info is needed.

Thanks

-Ryan

DB-snapshot.JPG

Outcomes