5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2014 7:11 AM by kenne120

help with portal set up

kenne120

Title

help with portal set up

I am attempting to set up a portal and am not entirely sure if the problem is in my relationships diagram, or if I’m trying to get the portal to do something that just isn’t possible- any insight would be much appreciated! I’m pretty new to FileMaker, so it could very well be my inexperience is causing me to miss some simple step in the portal set up process…

The database I am working on is intended to organize information about students who have completed programming through our office. (We are a teacher education/enrichment program based within the college of education at a large state university.) I have it set up so that each new student record is assigned an auto-entered, unique serial number upon creation. (kp_StudentID)

My intention is for there to be only two layouts: Student and School. The Student layout displays info on individual students (address, phone number, test scores, graduation year, etc). Most importantly, this layout keeps track of the employment history of each student- the name of the school(s) they’ve taught at, grade level, subject, and what years they were employed at the school. The School layout shows contact information for an individual school, and I am trying to set up a portal that would display related records of students who have worked at that school, what years they worked there, grade level taught/subject, etc. (Each school is also assigned a unique, auto entered serial number as well. kp_SchoolID)

I’ve entered a few records in the School layout, and entered corresponding information in the Student layout in their employment info, but so far I have not been able to get the portal to display the related records.

I've included a picture of my relationships diagram, hopefully this helps- and if there is any other information/screenshots I can upload to assist someone in how to answer my question, please do let me know.

Thank you!

Screenshot_2014-02-18_12.58.26.png

• 1. Re: help with portal set up
          philmodjunk

I’ve entered a few records in the School layout, and entered corresponding information in the Student layout in their employment info, but so far I have not been able to get the portal to display the related records.

But have you created any linking records in StudentEmployment?

and the relationship between Student and StudentEmployment is incorrect. It should match kp_StudentID to a kf_StudentID in StudentEmployment. Note that "kp" stands for primary key and "kf" stands for foreign key. Primary keys uniquely identify each record in the table where they are defined. foreign keys do not store unique values and typically match to the primary key of another table via a relationship. Thus, your SudentEmployment::kp_SchoolID field is incorrectly named to use this naming convention and this can cause confusion. It should be named kf_SchoolID.

Once you have the relationships correct, you should be able to put a portal to StudentEmployment on your Student layout and select a School for each studentemployment record by selecting a school using the kf_SchoolID field formatted as a drop down list of school names and school IDs. ("allow creation of records via this relationship" must be enabled for studentemployment in order for this to work.)

• 2. Re: help with portal set up
            kenne120

Thank you!

I believe I've mistakenly set up Student Employment to be its own table, when actually "Student Employment" is the name of a tab in the Student layout. (See screenshot) All the information on individual students is stored in the Student table.

Would the portal function if I eliminate the Student Employment table altogether and create a direct relationship from Student to School? (see screenshot) Or do I need this Student Employment table to link the Student table to School table? (I'm thinking the answer is yes...) 

Thank you again for all your help! 

• 3. Re: help with portal set up
              kenne120

Screenshot of Student Employment tab

• 4. Re: help with portal set up
                philmodjunk

You need a studentEmployment table to serve as the join between students and schools. This is needed in order for you to link a student to more than one school as you track their career and also to link more than one student to the same school.

And your layout will not work for this, you need a portal to the studentEmployment table  in order to get this to work.

• 5. Re: help with portal set up
                  kenne120

Got it. Thank you!!