4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2012 3:01 PM by ziparojw

Help with Recovered Files

ziparojw

Title

Help with Recovered Files

My database crashed on me and now will not open. I followed the instructions to recover the file and was able to recover it. 

I looked at the directions with recovered files in the help menu and it says this: 

After you recover a file, copy the most recent data from the recovered file to a backup copy of the original file. It is safest to use that file instead of the recovered file.

I don't know what this means. I still cannot open the originial file. When I try to open it I get an error message that reads:

"[file name] is damaged and cannot be opened. Use the Recover command to recover this file." 

Does anyone know what it is I'm supposed to do? or how to do it? 

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Help with Recovered Files
          philmodjunk

It means that you should have many more than just one copy of a file. YOu may not have done this, but best practice is to make regular back up copies of your file and to keep lot's of copies. Then, in a case like this, you can use recover to check your back up copies--starting from the most recent copy until you get a copy that recover does not report any problems when recovering. You can then save a copy of this file with the clone option to get an empty copy of your database. You open it up and import all data from your recovered copy into this back up clone.

If the recover process fixed your file and indicates that it is "ok to  use". Odds are good, but not 100% that you can just use the recovered file, so if you do not have an undamaged back up copy, you'll need to use the recovered copy and monitor it's behavior carefully to make sure that it is working OK.

Here's a link you may find useful for the future: Saving Sequential Back Ups During Development

• 2. Re: Help with Recovered Files
            ziparojw

Thank you!

So I was actually maintaining a backup on dropbox but of course it's been a couple of weeks and I'm not sure how I would cross reference it to see what I'm missing. You say "If the recover process fixed your file and indicates that it is "ok to  use""... How do I know that? is there a check I can do to see if it's "ok to use"? I was using MacSpeech dictate and that went a little crazy and that's what caused it to crash so I suspect that the rest of the file should be OK. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to help! 

• 3. Re: Help with Recovered Files
              philmodjunk

When you recover a file, It will either tell you it should not be used or that it's "probably ok to use". I'm not quoting the message word for word, but that's the gist of it.

• 4. Re: Help with Recovered Files
                ziparojw

Ok. Thank you!