2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2013 10:02 AM by DavidGibson_1

Help with relationship

DavidGibson_1

Title

Help with relationship

I've got what appears to be a simple relationship but has me stumped.  I've got a table called Sites. Each site is a unique record.  I've got another table (Owners) with contact information (names, addresses, etc.) that represents site owner information and site responsible party (RP) information.  Each site can have one owner (one to one) and each site can have one RP (one to one).  The owner and RP can be the same or different.  The Sites table is linked to the Owner table by a unique OwnerID field and a unique RPID field.  Problem is I can't get them to show up different.  If I change the Owner field it changes the RP field to match and vice versa.  What am I missing?

Dave Gibson

• 1. Re: Help with relationship
          philmodjunk

Looks like you need these relationships:

Owners-----<Sites>----ResponsibleParties

Owners::__pkContactID = Sites::_fkOwnerID
               ResponsibleParties::__pkContactID = Sites::_fkRPID

While this looks like you need two tables, one for owners and one for ResponsibleParties, you do not actually need two tables, just two Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?.

In Manage | Database | relationships, make a new table occurrence of Owners by clicking it and then clicking the duplicate button (2 green plus signs). You can double click the new occurrence box to get a dialog to appear where you can rename the new occurrence box to be ResponsibleParties.

We have not duplicated a table. Instead, this is a new reference to the same table already present in your database.

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

• 2. Re: Help with relationship
            DavidGibson_1

You guys are quick!  That was exactly the right answer. Thanks.

Dave Gibson