AnsweredAssumed Answered

Help with relationships on call log

Question asked by AzizaAbaButain on Aug 1, 2012
Latest reply on Aug 3, 2012 by AzizaAbaButain

Title

Help with relationships on call log

Let me start by apologizing for my noobness, I recently purchased FMP 11 and the FileMaker Pro 11 The Missing Manual book and am rather new at databases and how they function. Nonetheless, I've managed to set up a database with two tables in it and would say I've gotten past the beginner level and moved onto creating relationships, key fields and portals - though I barely understand what it is that I'm doing. That being said, here's what I'm trying to do and what I woudl appreciate some help on. 

Basically, I run my boss's call log and use it to roll calls. I have simple text fields in this order:

DATE, TIME, STATUS, CALLER, NUMBER, NOTES

When I get a call in, I'd like to be able to enter the caller name and have the phone number for that person auto-fill for me, rather than me have to search and find the number and copy/paste it into the number entry. It seems like such a simple action that I'm sure I'm missing some simple step here. I'm willing to rebuild the database from the getgo in order to make this work. 

I tried making two tables and creating a relationship for them, I tried linking keyfields on both tables and had no luck. I feel totally lost in a foreign country with foreign language directions. Would anybody be able to help me?

Thanks in advance!

Screen_Shot_2012-08-01_at_6.06.56_PM.png

Outcomes