4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2011 5:13 AM by NaturSalus

Help with Reminder Notification

NaturSalus

Title

Help with Reminder Notification

Hello,

In my project all the records have a Revision Date  (Due Date) with format dd/mm/yyyy. So I need a warning system that warns me of the records that will need revision in 30 days or less.

Searching in this forum I found a post ( creating a reminder?) that has all the clues to achieve my goal, but since I don't understand the rationale behind it, I am having some problems adapting it to my case.

As long as the Reminder script compares the Revision Date (Due Date) with the Current Date, the script behaves as expected.

I have tried things like Get(current date) -30 but it din't work. Maybe it makes no sense.

So my question is, what changes do I need to introduce and where so that the script checks for records due 30 days in advanced of the Revision Date (Due Date).

Additionally, since I want to check out for Records Revision dates (Due dates) every single day I should to get rid of:

Set Field [Procedure::ReminderStatus ; "=" ]

Replace Field contents [no dialog ; Procedure::ReminderStatus ; "Reminded"]

Procedure::ReminderStatusProcedure field in the Procedure table.

Am I right assuming that this is not needed if I want to check for  Records Revision dates (Due dates) daily?

The Procedure table is where the records as well as the Revision Dat (Due Date) and Reminder Status fields are.

The Procedures Pending Revision is the report used to show the records pending revision in 30 days or before.

Thanks

The Reminder script that I got from this foum and I am using is the following:

procedures_pending_revision_script.jpg

• 1. Re: Help with Reminder Notification
          LaRetta_1

“Additionally, since I want to check out for Records Revision dates (Due dates) every single day”

That sounds good in theory but there will be days you will be out sick, on holiday, have no electricity etc.  And even the records you find to work on for the day may not all get finished that day so there might be records with revision dates PRIOR to the date you check them also, right? 

I would also assume that, when you address the records which need to be revised, you update the due date again to a future date or you somehow mark it complete so you don't work with it again?

"So I need a warning system that warns me of the records that will need revision in 30 days or less."

I might suggest then, depending upon your answers, that you search for ALL past revision dates from the current date AND upcoming revision dates in next 30 days and exclude any records which are completely finished.  Of course I don't know what that would be (I might assume there is a Complete field or Status field? 

I would suggest this:

Enter Find Mode [ uncheck pause ]
          Set Field [ Due Date ; "≤" & Get ( CurrentDate ) + 30 ]
          Set Field [ Status ; "Active" ] ... adjust this step to fit how you determine that a record is still active
          Set Error Capture [ On ]
          Perform Find [ ]
          If [ not Get ( FoundCount ) ]
          Show Custom Dialog [ "No records due" ]
          ... return to original layout or do whatever you wish because no records were found
          Else
          ... records found.  Do whatever you wish with these found records such as go to a different layout
          End If

... again, I do not know what designates that a record is finished so you will need to adjust the second Set Field[] line as needed.

• 2. Re: Help with Reminder Notification
            NaturSalus

Hello LaRetta,

Thank you for your enlightening feedback.

I would also assume that, when you address the records which need to be revised, you update the due date again to a future date or you somehow mark it complete so you don't work with it again?

Yes.

Records in my case are Document. Each Document has 4 Status Dates:

• Issued
            • Approval
            • Effective
            • Revision

All these dates remain unchanged until the document is reviewed and then new dates are assign for each.

I might suggest then, depending upon your answers, that you search for ALL past revision dates from the current date AND upcoming revision dates in next 30 days and exclude any records which are completely finished.  Of course I don't know what that would be (I might assume there is a Complete field or Status field?

Well in my project I have the Status field with options:

Draft

Reviewed

Approved

Active

Obsolete

But I don't have any field that could be used to exclude records from the search. Even, I don't think that I want to exclude any record from the search as long as they are 30 days notice of Due date.

... again, I do not know what designates that a record is finished so you will need to adjust the second Set Field[] line as needed.

Set Field [ Status ; "Active" ]

I certainly have the Status field and the Active option.

Okay I'll see how it works and will let you know.

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Help with Reminder Notification
              NaturSalus

Well, it seems it is not working as expected on the first try.

Document 1 Revision Date: 09/07/2011

Document 2 Revision Date: 05/07/2011

Document 3 Revision Date: 27/08/2011

Reminder script, hopefully as per your instructions

When I run the script I get the message: No Documents for revision

What I would like the script to do is to remind me of all documents that are fore revision in 30 days; having as reference the current date.

Any ideas?

• 4. Re: Help with Reminder Notification
                NaturSalus

It is working great.

Since I have the English and the Spanish version I had "Active" instead of "Activo" in the script and I tried the script on the Spanish version.

My fault.Embarassed

Many thanks for your help