3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2010 9:59 AM by comment_1

Help with Sales Tax less Coupon calculation

lauranbrent

Title

Help with Sales Tax less Coupon calculation

I need to change my sales tax calculation. Currently, I'm using the "out of the box" calculation, but it isn't reflecting the coupons we offer. The caculation I'm using is: Sum(Line Items::Taxable Amount) * Sales Tax Rate + If(Discount Rate;0;0). I've added an additional line on my invoices to deduct coupons, but  sales tax is still being charged on the coupon amount. I need to deduct the coupon amount in the calculation in order for the tax to calculate correctly. Any suggestions? Thank you.

• 1. Re: Help with Sales Tax less Coupon calculation
          ninja

Howdy lauranbrent,

Welcome to the forum.

Is the coupon counted against an ITEM or against an ORDER?

Will one line item be discounted like "15% off CD's" , or is it a "20% off orders over $100" ?

The simplest way would be to modify your calc to:

( Sum(Line Items::Taxable Amount) - Coupon) * Sales Tax Rate + If(Discount Rate;0;0)

But if these are per item coupons, you may want to consider having them in the line item records so that the LineItems::TaxableAmount is discounted.  If this way seems more appropriate, you would not have to make the blue change above since the discount would already be accounted for in the Taxable Amount.

• 2. Re: Help with Sales Tax less Coupon calculation
            ninja

Brain is running a little slow today,

Would If(Discount Rate;0;0) ever contribute anything to this calculation?

My brain says no, take it out...but I figured I'd throw it out to the community to verify.  Thanks for the reality check.

• 3. Re: Help with Sales Tax less Coupon calculation
              comment_1

Ninja wrote:

Would If(Discount Rate;0;0) ever contribute anything to this calculation?

Not to the result - but it does add Discount Rate to the referenced fields, so the calc will re-evaluate whenever the discount rate is modified. Not sure why that's necessary, though.