2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2008 8:58 AM by scottgh

Help with setting up a calculation field

ESurina

Title

Help with setting up a calculation field

I am trying to set up a calculation for a commision.  The commision percentage changes based on the gross sales for the year.  I finally worked out the calulation using summary fields, but I am not sure how to reset it for the next year.  I can't use the date as a break field since I am already breaking it by salesman.

Is there an easy way to do this?  Or should I just have separate databases for 2008, 2009, etc?

• 1. Re: Help with setting up a calculation field
          TSGal

If the commission percentage changes based on the gross sales for the year, you can either separate the databases into separate years, or you can set up your sorts to include the year and the sales person.  Then, your summary values will show by each sales person and year.

Another option is to have a script that only finds those records for the current year.  Then, the summary values are based only on those found set of records.

If you need clarification for any of the above steps, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Help with setting up a calculation field
            scottgh

How often do you pay commissions? Monthly? Quarterly? Annually?

How are your tables related? For example, do you have a Salespeople table related to Invoices? Do you have a Pay or Commissions table with records for each sales person who is paid commissions for some period like a month?

There are probably several ways to get the numbers you want without having to create a new database for each year, but we need to know a little about your data structure, or what tables you have and how they are related.