AnsweredAssumed Answered

Help with sticking value list values

Question asked by deathrobot on Feb 17, 2013
Latest reply on Feb 17, 2013 by deathrobot

Title

Help with sticking value list values

I am running a music libary and created a simple Filemaker database to help in managing of each song's keywords. I have a database with one record per song. There is one field called "Keywords". On the record layout, I have many iterations of that field, each using values from a different Value List (e.g. one for "style", one for "tempo", one for "instrumentation", etc.). Keywords are selected by checkboxes. I also have one calculation field that combines all the keywords in a comma separated list:

Substitute ( Substitute ( Keywords ; "/" ; ", " ) ; "¶" ; ", " )

The problem I am having is that if I alter any values in one of the value lists, where that value was already checked on a record, it does not get removed from the calculation field, and I cannot figure out a way to get rid of it. For example, say I have one value list consisting of:

keyword 1
     keyword 2/keyword 3 (some values consist of more than one keyword; they get parsed by the calculation field)

and I have "keyword 2/keyword 3" checked on a record. If I later decide I should not have combined those keywords, I edit my value list to be:

keyword 1
     keyword 2
     keyword 3

so that I can keep keyword 2 checked, but uncheck keyword 3. When I do, my calculation field shows the original keyword 2 and keyword 3 plus a duplicate keyword 2. If I uncheck keyword 2 - in fact, even if I uncheck EVERYTHING on the current record - the original keyword 2 and keyword 3 will still show in the calculation box. It's like the exist but are hidden. I've turned off indexing of the keyword field and keep the calculation unstored, but nothing works. 

Any ideas?

Thanks,
     Michael

Outcomes