1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 25, 2011 9:46 AM by philmodjunk

Help with Text Formatting

jeffd

Title

Help with Text Formatting

I'm a FM pro 11 on windows platform.

I have a text box that's 338X206 pixels. Users can write or paste info into this box. However on the report layout I set my text box is set to 543X89 pixels. So sometimes in the input box I may have data that has multiple line that exceed more than the report box has & therefore a good bit of the data is left off the report. Also note that this data has a lot of empty space to the right of each sentence.  How can I eliminate the empty spaces to the right of each sentence & maybe insert a comma or semi colon between each sentence so all of the text will fit in my 543X89 report?

• 1. Re: Help with Text Formatting
          philmodjunk

Why size the field differently on your report layout?

Simplest fix is to make the field larger. If you can't make it any wider, you can still make it many lines taller and then use the "Slide up", "also resize enclosing part" settings for this field in the inspector to shrink the field vertically to it's smallest possible size for each record.

Key facts about sliding:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          2. All layout objects below a slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          3. Only objects in the body will slide.
          4. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          5. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.

How can I eliminate the empty spaces to the right of each sentence & maybe insert a comma or semi colon between each sentence

Put a calculation field with this expression on your layout in place of the original text field:

Substitute ( YourTextField ; ¶ ; "; " )