AnsweredAssumed Answered

Help with time and date status... everyone's favourite!

Question asked by FMNewbie on Sep 26, 2014
Latest reply on Sep 26, 2014 by philmodjunk

Title

Help with time and date status... everyone's favourite!

I have a bit of a challenge I hope someone can help me with.  I have a field called DUTY_STATUS which I want to automatically indicate whether a unit or crew would be "on duty" or "off duty" depending on time of day.  If I was using strict timestamps associated to start and end dates this would be fairly simple, however I want to keep it open ended so it will calculate on any day at any time.  I know that seems a little loosey-goosey but in this context it works.

To work with, I have SHIFT_START (a time field),  SHIFT_END (a time field) and CURRENT_TIME (which is an expression of Get (CurrentHostTimeStamp).  

For the end result, I would like DUTY_STATUS to show as "on duty" if CURRENT_TIME is between SHIFT_START and SHIFT_END, and "off duty" if CURRENT_TIME is anything outside of those two times.  Where this gets tricky, is when some of the SHIFT_END times will be after midnight. 

I feel like this is something easy that I'm missing.  I searched all the forums for something similar but I can't find anything and I'm having a hard time making it work.  

Any help would be appreciated........  Cheers. 

Outcomes