5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2015 1:44 PM by fentonjones

help with total of figures

gravis13

Title

help with total of figures

i am using file maker 10 and just made a simple database for bookings all is working fine but when i add players and want to look at the total in list veiw ,how do i get it to add up the overall total at the bottom of each colum or even the total anywere ..

cheers j

• 1. Re: help with total of figures
          fitch

Sounds like you want a summary field.

• 2. Re: help with total of figures
            gravis13

thanks i will have try lol

• 3. Re: help with total of figures
              gravis13

nope, no  good at this when create field ,then try and put the numbers in the drop down box to book people in it keeps saying this action cannot be preformed because this field is not modifiable  lol   sorry im trying ...all help would be great ...

cheers j

• 4. Re: help with total of figures
                fitch

Don't format a summary field with a value list. It is a special type of calculated field, and calculated fields cannot be modified.

Look, if you have a list and want to know how many records you're looking at, one way is to simply look at the found count. Another way is to create a summary field and specify it as the Count of some field that you know always contains a value.

OTOH if you want to know how many records in your list have a value in a particular field (i.e. the field is not empty) you could use a summary field with Count for that purpose.

Note that this is not the same thing as a calculated field using the Count function.

Now, if you have a field that contains a number, you can use other summary field types, such as Total, which as you might guess will give you a total of the values in the number field for all the records in the found set.

Hope that helps.

• 5. Re: help with total of figures
                  fentonjones

It makes sense to me. You can run into a similar thing when you have a "notes" table. You don't really want to create a new "notes" table, for every other table which wants to have "notes"; that may be several. So you can do as you did, each has its own ID, along with the "notes" ID ( auto-entered serial number {text} ). They will not get mixed up who their parent is.