1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 7:53 PM by davidanders

Help with unique user over multiple tables

tobyjai

Title

Help with unique user over multiple tables

HI

excuse my complete ignorance am new to the whole database world and have a question.. (shortly - i would imagine - to be followed by many more!)

I am creating a personalised inventory system i have 6 tables for this part and if my reading to date stands correct we are talking about one parent and 5 child tables as all tables refer to items within inventory each table handles diffrent information for the item such as general details, financials, valuations, insurance and retail information.

I need to have a unique id which i have labelled 'itemident' and i what i want is as i move from nav menu the uniwue id put in general details section follows through the child tables so to put in practice - as i move from genral details to valuation form the unique id follows auto inputted. 

and now for my ignorance - what is th ebest way for me to accomplish that? is it as simple as creting relationships between the tables and doing a look up info from parent table itemident or do ineed to create further relationship queries between the child tables as well?

thanks

• 1. Re: Help with unique user over multiple tables
          davidanders

INVENTORY         GENERAL               FINANCIAL          VALUATION   (Tables - MAIN - Child01 - Child02...)

ItemID      >--<  ItemIDGen   >--<  ItemIDFin   >--<  ItemIDVal    (Named Similar with Suffix for ease of reading)

Relationships are made from INVENTORY::ItemID >--< GENERAL::ItemIDGen
          Relationships are made from INVENTORY::ItemID >--< FINANCIAL::ItemIDFin
          Relationships are made from INVENTORY::ItemID >--< VALUATION::ItemIDVal

You can go to General Data Entry and say NEW RECORD and enter correct ItemIDGen

OR you can be in INVENTORY and create a button with a script that will copy the ItemID and paste in ItemIDGen