1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2010 10:30 AM by philmodjunk

Help with using multiple tables in mutiple tabs- please help!!

Miranda1980

Title

Help with using multiple tables in mutiple tabs- please help!!

Hi, I am completely new to this software, or any database software for that matter. So please excuse if what I'm asking for either doesn't make sense or is not very clear, I will try to give as much info as possible. I've read the help files til my head is spinning and can not figure out how to build the database I need. What I am doing is making a database where I want to have 7 tables that are arranged in 7 tabs and all viewable at once (meaning within the same layout I'm able to go from tab to tab and see each of my tables info within each tab). The reason I think I need to have them all in seperate tables is because they will all have the same fields but with completely different info in each table/tab. I'm tracking 7 different people- and tracking within each of them the same things (such as their details, their customers, etc.)This info within each tab is also in tabs, but I'm not sure that's relevant to my question.

I was able to figure out most of what I needed on the design aspects and got it all perfect in one tab and table- I have all 7 tabs showing on that table but obviously when I go to copy the fields within tab1 to tab2 it is using the exact same info to fill in those fields, I'm assuming because it's from the same table- this has led me to believe I need a diffrerent table for each. I have created the tables now for each of the different people, and can see how I would need to design the layouts for each table, I see how to make the fields and all, however I can't seem to determine how I will be able to make all those tables/tabs show together. I tried to simply input fields from the new table 2 onto a tab from table 1 but it said it was 'unrelated' when I tried to then use it to input info.

I have seen this done (I think) on the sample template for 'Email Campaign Management'- I tried that  when first starting my database and decided to make a new one as that one didn't completely meet my needs and I was having trouble editing it, but I'm using the same tabbed style. In that one I saw that when you go from tab to tab (the main ones anyway) it shows you on a different layout on each one, and what I also believe is a different table. That's what I need to figure out how to do.

I am using Filemaker Pro Advanced vs 10 on Vista 64. Thanks for any help!!

• 1. Re: Help with using multiple tables in mutiple tabs- please help!!
          philmodjunk

Have you read the help file entries on "portals"?

It sounds like you could use several portals that display different records from the same table instead of having 7 different tables. See if you can get a single portal working from the info in the help file and then post back here so we can show you how to display different records from the same table in different portals.

• 2. Re: Help with using multiple tables in mutiple tabs- please help!!
            Miranda1980

Ok, thanks for answering Phil- I will look into that and post back!

• 3. Re: Help with using multiple tables in mutiple tabs- please help!!
              Miranda1980

Hi there :) I read everything I could find on portals and am not having the greatest time understanding it, but went ahead and tried to set one up on one of the tabs in my main table. When I draw the portal into the tab area the portal setup box pops up asking me 'Show related records from' but the choices in the dropdown are greyed out. The only available choice is Manage database, so I went in there and tried to manually choose the table (I tried both) but neither made the dropdown allow me a selection. I tried everything I could think of to no avail. I'm thinking I'm missing the bit about relationships, which is all greek to me.... Any help here would be great!

I'm a little confused on if what I'm trying to do actually needs relationships as I understand them though. To clarify, these different tabs I want to use for each person's information- none of them actually have crossover information from the others- they could easily be done as completely seperate files with just the same fields to contain the info relative to that specific persons customers, accounts, etc- but I want to be able to view it all at once, not in different windows. Each person will be tracking the same types of information, customer details, accounts, etc therefore will use the same field types- but will have totally different information to input then the other person's- diff customers, etc.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Help with using multiple tables in mutiple tabs- please help!!
                philmodjunk

Portals require there to be a relationship in Manage | Database | Relationships in order to work. You can build a relationship between a table and itself by making a second table occurrence of the table occurrence filemaker has already created in this relationship graph.

If you are "tracking 7 different people- and tracking within each of them the same things (such as their details, their customers, etc.)" surely there's some reason why you want to see this specific group of 7 people all at once?

What if you find you have a group of 8, 9 or 10 people you need to work with in this fashion? (Adding more tabs and tables just to see more records all on the same table can get really messy!)

Have you experimented with list and table views of your data? These veiws allow you to see more than one record on your screen at the same time. You can perform finds and sort the records found to control which records are visible on your screen.

The more detail you can provide on what you want to do, the better we can suggest solutions.

• 5. Re: Help with using multiple tables in mutiple tabs- please help!!
                  Miranda1980

Hi Phil, and thanks for taking the time to answer again. If it can be done, this is definitely the way I want to do it- Basically I need this information open all day long at the same time- to have to open and reopen different files or even windows would be time consuming and take up way to much space, therefore hard to manage (as well might take a toll on my pc speed but maybe not, as I'm not sure how this program is with resources like that)

Anyway yes it is 7 people and it could expand to 1-2 more in the future, but no more then that. Although I have no experience with this, once I learn I am a quick study and would hope that if I can gt it to work for 1-2 (or these 7 as the case may be) any more then that wouldn't be an issue to repeat the same steps in the future if need be. To be clear- only *I* am tracking this, the other people involved have nothing to do with the program, but I need to track each of them all day- the type of information I'm tracking is the same for each but would have different results that I'm inputting for each person. When I first started with the program and used the 'Email Campain Management' template was when I got the idea of how to shape everything with the templates- I thought from that template that I would be able to do this, but don't know enough about databases to pull it off I guess.

I hope that is enough info, but if not feel free to ask more. Is this something that is even possible? Or am I missing something completely...?

• 6. Re: Help with using multiple tables in mutiple tabs- please help!!
                    philmodjunk

You can do what you describe, but it sounds like an extremely cumbersome approach.

To repeat a question: Have you investigated using list or table views of your data? I suggest that because it's easy to set up for a new user and allows you to to see 1, 2, 3, 7, ...300 or more records all in one window.  You can either click the book control or scroll the window to move through your records and this would be just as fast as clicking a tab control.

To place each individual's data under a different tab requires that you either define a different set of fields for each individual in the same record or you place them in different records and use relationships in Manage | Database | Relationships to control which record supplies data for tab 1 and which one for tab 2, etc. A portal can be a simple way to display data from different records on each tab--and that's why I suggested that approach as you can then add additional people without having to define more fields for them, you'd just create a new record.

Here's a basic out line of the portal approach:

Add an ID field to your table if you do not already have one defined. I'll call it PersonID. In field options, set it up as an auto-entered serial number so that each person's record gets a unique serial number.

Now, go to Manage | Databae | Relationships and find the Table Occurrence box for your table.

Use your mouse to drag from PersonID to outside the box and back to PersonID.

A dialog will pop up where you can name this new instance of a table occurrence box. I'll name it "AllPeople".

Double click the line linking these two boxes and change the "=" sign to an "X" so that this relationship links to all records in the table regardless of the ID value.

Now click OK until you've left Manage | Database.

Enter layout mode and use the portal tool to add a portal to your layout and specify AllPeople as the table occurrence for your portal.

While Portals default to a set up where you see multiple records in narrow rows, you can resize and change settings so that the portal displays just one record in more of a "form" type view where you can arrange fields within the portal to look the way you want. (Select Initial row: 1, Number of rows: 1 )

Copy and paste this portal to each of the other tabs. After pasting into the second tab, double click the portal to bring up portal setup and change "Initial Row" to 2. Make this setting 3 for the portal on the 3rd tab and so on for each tab.

• 7. Re: Help with using multiple tables in mutiple tabs- please help!!
                      Miranda1980

Thank you for the information Phil. As to the list and other views, I know it sounds silly but the design of this is also important to me and I really want to have it within the tabs, each one looking exactly the same. I'm thinking using the portals is not going to accomplish that for me. I am also starting to think that working with the portals and relationships is going to be very confusing for me. I think what I will have to do is make new fields for each tab/person- dulicating the fields for the original one and just adding a 1,2,3 etc til I have a copy for each one. Tedious, but straight forward at least, and I'm beginning to think databases like this are a little over my head (much as I hate to admit such a thing lol)

Thank you so much for your time though, it is greatly appreciated, and I will certainly post back and let you know if I'm able to get the portals and relationships worked out.

Thanks again, have a wondeful day!

• 8. Re: Help with using multiple tables in mutiple tabs- please help!!
                        philmodjunk

" each one looking exactly the same"

DId you know you can set up a layout were the fields from one record completely fill the layout?

Then, instead of clicking a file tab, you just click the "book" control to switch from record to record. No need for extra data fields, relationships or portals. The only thing you give up is the file tab selector across the top. You can even add buttons across the top that do the same thing for you.

It's your database, but I strongly recommend that you not do this by adding fields. It'll work for the time being, but you are setting yourself up for some major complications if you try to do anything else with this data such as creating a report or searching the database for information.

• 9. Re: Help with using multiple tables in mutiple tabs- please help!!
                          Miranda1980

Hmmm so when you are referring to a record you are meaning the person I want in each tab, I was looking at records as the customer info I will be inputting within them- are those sub records then? Sorry I'm so confused... See so say I have 'Lauren' and 'Nicole'- under each of them I will have their specific customers (there is no crossover, nothing shared between them) I thought these customers of theirs were the records- are Lauren and Nicole then considered records as well? What is confusing me is I see them on different levels, if you know what I mean.

See what you are saying is I think how it may be being done in that template I mentioned- as they have seperate tabs and when you click each tab it looks exactly the same except the info within the tab changes, but yes the layout changes as well. I had seen this but could not figure out how to design it, and tired my best to do so but the way I had it as soon as I used the same field from Lauren into Nicole, the info copied with it, instead of allowing me to input different information- so that was when I got the idea that I must need different tables.

I am open to any ideas still... just want this to work! :)

• 10. Re: Help with using multiple tables in mutiple tabs- please help!!
                            philmodjunk

This is the first time you've mentioned "customers". That changes the basic needs of your database structure.

You need two tables: Personnel (One record for each person you are tracking)

Clients (one record for each client).

You link the two with a relationship so that client records for "Jim" are visible in Jim's portal and client records for "George" are visible in his portal.

Honestly, I wouldn't use tabs for this as it makes for more design effort than it's worth.

Instead, I'd base my layout on the Personnel table and design it so that I can see one Personnel record at a time, but use buttons or the "book" control to switch from record to record in place of the tabs. On the layout, I'd place a portal to Clients to see the client data appropriate for each Personnel record.

Here's the nuts and bolts:

Define an auto-entered serial number (this is a field option) called PersonID in Personnel.

Define a matching Number field, PersonID in Clients.

Link them in Manage | Databae | Relationships like this:

Personnel:: PersonID = Clients:: PersonID

Double click the relationship line and select the "Allow creation of records via this relationship" option for clients.

Place a portal to Clients on your Personnel layout. To add a new client, select the correct personnel record and type the needed data into the bottom blank row of the portal to automatically add them to the database and assign them to that Person's record.

• 11. Re: Help with using multiple tables in mutiple tabs- please help!!
                              Miranda1980

Hi, actually I did mention customers several times in my posts, my first post said 'I'm tracking 7 different people- and tracking within each of them the same things (such as their details, their customers, etc.)'  but it must have been missed, sorry it wasn't clearer.If I'm not using tabs frankly I'm a little confused about where my portals are going... but I will give it a shot and report back what I come up with. Thanks again.

• 12. Re: Help with using multiple tables in mutiple tabs- please help!!
                                Miranda1980

Here's the nuts and bolts:

Define an auto-entered serial number (this is a field option) called PersonID in Personnel.

Define a matching Number field, PersonID in Clients.

Link them in Manage | Databae | Relationships like this:

Personnel:: PersonID = Clients:: PersonID

ok so on the first part of this, is this supposed to be an auto generated serial in both ID fields or just the personnel one and the client one is just a normal number field?

And I'm not sure on the linking, I see nowhere where it shows '::' is that supposed to be part of the formula, or are you saying it is the personnel/person ID= clients/personID and if so, will that mean that field will be the same information for both? (I'm reading it as one equals the other, therefore the same.)

• 13. Re: Help with using multiple tables in mutiple tabs- please help!!
                                  philmodjunk

PersonID should only be an auto-entered serial number in Personnel.

You'll find throughout filemaker, that label1::Label2 is a way to identify the table (label1) and then a field (label2) that is defined within that table so you are correctly interpreting what I posted. Just drag from one field to the other in your relationship graph.

The two personID fields will store the same number if the client record is assigned to that personnel record and vice versa.

Here's what the data for two personnl might look like if you just looked at the tables for Personnel and Clients:

Personnel

ID:          Name:

1            John Smith

2            Mary Jones

Clients

1            Fred Hollywood

2           John Jacobs

1           Lefty Odool

1           Henry Higgins

2           June Johnson

In a portal on John's Personnel record, you'd see Fred, Lefty and Henry listed, but not the other two as they are linked to the Mary Jones record.

• 14. Re: Help with using multiple tables in mutiple tabs- please help!!
                                    Miranda1980

Ok, believe it or not I actually have it set up and working! Lol. So it is very basic and shows all the client info within the personell table's portal in just a list form by rows- this doesn't allow me the big text box I was looking for for client notes (they're extensive for some clients), it's an awful tiny box, and it shows all that personell's customers at once, and I'm talking about having 100's of clients for each personell record- seems that is not the best way to view so many records.

Am I asking too much now? You've been very kind to help me, but this seems to be going on and on and I hate to keep taking up all your time like this. I'm wondering at this point if I should just be trying to find someone to hire to design this for me.....

1 2 Previous Next