4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2011 6:28 AM by Sorbsbuster

HELP with varied length fields and page length record printout

SeattleSquirrel

Title

HELP with varied length fields and page length record printout

I have a database that I use for job orders, and sometimes these job orders have little to no info, and sometimes they are very lengthy. I print out each "record" as a job order (not in list view) and need help figuring out how to lay out the job order so that when I print it, it sometimes only covers one page, and sometimes it's multiple pages long. I've tried sliding without success (and I thought slididng was only for list view) I have a seperate laypout for inputting the data, with scroll bars in the fields so it's only a problem for printing the job order print layout where I need everythign visible.

All ideas welcome - I've spent too much time on this one problem! :)

Thanks!

• 1. Re: HELP with varied length fields and page length record printout
          JamesRoland

Howdy,

I too am faced with a similar situation and have been so far unable to come up with a workable solution. IMHO, this is one area of FMP that urgently needs to be addressed in any upcoming update. What I envision is a "text area" data type (as opposed to the current "text" data type) that expands and contracts depending upon the amount of text within. One would have thought that by Version 11 the folks at FM would have "gotten this" already :) "Sliding", as you have noted, just does not do it; my apps require it for on-screen as well as printing.

Cheers!
          Lyle 

• 2. Re: HELP with varied length fields and page length record printout
            Sorbsbuster

Asa Douglas: sorry, I must be missing something.  I admit that I use the sliding feature most often when printing a list, but it works exactly the same way for me in form view.  You have a data-entry layoput where you use scroll bars etc to allow the field to be presented neatly on the screen, but you have another layout for printing?  The printing layout is them set to have a text field as long as you would need, but is set to shrink to fit the data?  I just tried it - I set the tab box to be very long, with Sliding set to slide upwards and shrink the enclosing part and it works perfectly.

• 3. Re: HELP with varied length fields and page length record printout
              SeattleSquirrel

Thanks - I messed around with it some more and once I played around with the anchors, all of a sudden it worked... to some degree. I still have not printed it to see (not hooked up to a printer at home).

However, it still does not answer my question of multiple pages just yet - will this then spread over several pages? Do I have to keep the feels huge to accomodate "potential" long copy that it may or may not hold? I guess I still wish it would auto expand too to accomodate that unforseen long copy. If I purposely want to spread it over several pages, than do I go below the page print line, or next to it?

Thanks - love this program, but I'm defitely being challenged! :)

• 4. Re: HELP with varied length fields and page length record printout
                Sorbsbuster

You have to extend the field size to accommodate the max possible length.  I can't see why it's a big problem - this is a printing-only layout, no-one ever sees it, so what does it matter?  If you set the part to shrink also it will print 1 page when that's all there is, and 2, 3, etc if it needs more.  You can check your work in Preview mode, of course.  Or print to a pdf file.